Northeastern Crime Log

Crime Log Entries of the Week:

Wednesday, May 26 3 p.m. The Northeastern University Police Department (NUPD) responded to a staff member in Lake Hall who said she received a call from someone outside of the building from university mail services to meet her outside and pick up a package. She left her office and when she went outside, no one was there.

Tuesday, June 1 2 p.m. A female staff member in Ell Hall reported receiving a phone call to come outside and pick up a package from University Mail. When she found no one outside, she returned to her office to discover her purse stolen. NUPD called University Mail who said their employees would never call a staff member outside. NUPD sent a global e-mail to all staff warning of the incident similar to May 26. _____________________________________________________________

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Wednesday, May 26 3:30 p.m. A 30-year-old male staff member from another university was using Snell Library for research and left his laptop unattended for five minutes. When he returned, it was missing.

Thursday, May 27 5 p.m. A 28-year-old female staff member having lunch at the Marino Center reported her wallet missing, saying she must have left it at the counter of a restaurant. The wallet contained credit cards and by the time she called to cancel the accounts, two had been used for purchases and cash withdrawals totaling $2,000. She said she had written her pin number on a slip of paper in her wallet.

A 22-year-old female student reported leaving $140 in cash on top of her bureau the previous night. At noon the next day, she discovered it was missing.

Friday, May 28 2 p.m. A construction worker parked his truck near the West Campus site at the beginning of his workday. When he returned, the window to his truck was broken and his CD player was missing.

5 p.m. NUPD apprehended a 19-year-old man being pursued by an MBTA employee out of the Massachusetts Avenue Orange Line station. The man had assaulted the driver of an Orange Line car and broken a window. He was turned over to MBTA police.

Monday, May 31 5 p.m. Two staff members in the Curry Student Center left their cell phones unattended for 30 minutes. When they returned, the phones were missing.

Tuesday, June 1 10:30 a.m. A staff member in Snell Library reported his cell phone missing from his unlocked office. He had left the phone in the office for the holiday weekend. The office was unlocked so other staff members could access files.

University Mail Services informed NUPD about a package containing a paint ball gun addressed to a student in a residence hall. NUPD contacted the family of the student and they acknowledged the purchase and that they had accidentally shipped it to campus instead of their New York home. The father made arrangements to pick it up.

9:30 p.m. A 21-year-old male student using a computer in Snell Library reported his USB Storage Key missing after he left it unattended.

Thursday, June 3 2:30 p.m. A manager of Wollaston’s at the Marino Center called NUPD after detaining a disorderly shoplifter. The 46-year-old male attempted to steal $20 worth of food. He has been summoned to court for disorderly conduct and shoplifting. He is further banned from Wollaston’s.

3:30 p.m. A staff member from the Curry Student Center asked two high school aged males to leave the area because they were being loud. The staff member reported the males made threatening comments. The staff member shared the description with other staff members and asked them to notify NUPD if the students returned to the building.

4:30 p.m. A 23-year-old male student reported his bike and lock stolen from outside Hayden Hall.

Friday, June 4 Noon NUPD observed a 57-year-old man on Columbus Avenue yelling loudly at a 7-year-old girl. Upon closer inspection, officers noticed the girl was bleeding from the mouth. Witnesses saw the man, Raymond Taras of New Orleans, grab the girl under her arms and slam her down on her feet several times. After investigation, NUPD learned the girl was Taras’ daughter and she had allegedly bit her lip. Taras, who was attending a conference at Northeastern, was arrested for domestic violence and assault. His daughter was taken to the hospital.

4 p.m. A Curry Student Center staff member spotted the high school students matching the description of those asked to leave the building on June 3. NUPD questioned the males about the threats they had allegedly made to the staff member on the previous day. Both males denied the threats, but when questioned separately one of the teens said the other had made the threat. He said, “I’m not going to jail because of him.” The 15-year-old, who made the threat, was summoned to court. Both families were contacted and the teens are not welcome back in the student center.

Saturday, June 5 4:30 p.m. NUPD was called to the Snell Engineering lobby on reports of a man having a heart attack. When officers arrived they discovered a man in his early 20s suffering from a heroin overdose. The man, not affiliated with NU, had injected the drug, according to his friend. He was taken to the hospital and arrested on a larceny charge from Revere.

Monday, June 7 2:30 p.m. A 20-year-old male student reported his jacket containing his wallet with credit cards missing after he left it unattended in the Marino Center.