Northeastern Crime Log

By Jen Nelson

Tuesday, February 24 9:30 a.m. Residential Life staff found a beer ball in the 16 Westland Ave. apartment of a 19-year-old female student while conducting room inspections. She will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, February 25 4 p.m. A female student reported her laptop missing after leaving it unattended in a research lab in the Dana Research Center for approximately two minutes.

5 p.m. ResLife staff in Smith Hall found marijuana being cultivated in the closet of an 18-year-old female resident. The seedlings and halogen lamps were confiscated, as well as a variety of other drug paraphernalia. The student will be referred to OSCCR.

6 p.m. A 22-year-old female student reported her watch missing after forgetting it on a shower shelf in Smith Hall. When she returned for it an hour later, it was gone.

11:15 p.m. Officers responded to two 18-year-old male students who had gotten into a verbal argument, which escalated to pushing and shoving. The fight was mediated by ResLife staff and both students will be referred to OSCCR.

Thursday, February 26 4 p.m. Several students in Stetson East reported solicitors knocking on doors throughout the building, attempting to sell products to students. The solicitors left before officers arrived, but officers did locate the 18-year-old male student who had signed the solicitors into the building. The student admitted that he did not know the solicitors, but signed them in when they asked him to. He will be referred to OSCCR.

Friday, February 27 2 a.m. An officer found a person who had been assaulted on Gainsborough Street. The man, not affiliated with NU, claimed someone had walked by and punched him in the face. Officers received information from witnesses, which led to the detaining of a 22-year-old male suspect, who admitted to punching the man. According to the student, the man had become intoxicated and offensive in Our House East. The student punched the man after he made offensive comments to him. The man did not wish to press charges, but the student will be referred to OSCCR.

Saturday, February 28 1 a.m. A Resident Assistant in Kerr Hall reported a 19-year-old female student heavily intoxicated and ill on the fifth floor of the building. Officers responded and took the student to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. She will also be referred to OSCCR.

11 p.m. A 21-year-old female student reported $100 stolen from her wallet left in her unlocked and unattended apartment. The apartment had been left unlocked for several days, and the student did not know exactly when the money was taken.

Sunday, February 29 Noon A 21-year-old female student reported her car vandalized after leaving it parked in North Lot for four days. The car had scratches along its sides that appeared to be caused from keys.

Monday, March 1 4 p.m. ResLife staff in Davenport A found a BB rifle in an apartment during inspections. The gun was confiscated and the male resident will be referred to OSCCR.

Tuesday, March 2 Noon A female student found her Husky ID had been used for $160 in vending machine purchases when she attempted to replace the ID she had lost over a week earlier.

A staff member in Meserve Hall reported her cell phone and camera missing from her office after leaving it unlocked and unattended for approximately five minutes. Witnesses said they saw a young man, of approximately high school age, loitering in the area at the time of the theft.

Wednesday, March 3 4 p.m. ResLife staff in West Campus C found marijuana paraphernalia in the apartment of a 22-year-old male during room inspections. The paraphernalia was confiscated, and the student will be referred to OSCCR.

ResLife staff in West Campus C found two bongs in the apartment of a 20-year-old male. Both were confiscated, and the student will be referred to OSCCR.

8 p.m. A visitor using the Snell Library for research reported her wallet missing after forgetting it in the first floor women’s room. She returned for the wallet an hour later, but it was gone.

Thursday, March 4 3 p.m. Staff reported a man sleeping in the men’s room on the first floor of the Curry Student Center. Officers responded and found a man with no affiliation to NU slightly intoxicated in the bathroom. Peter Rich, 47, of Boston, was arrested on a default warrant from a previous drug charge. He was arraigned the next day at Roxbury District Court.

6 p.m. Staff in the Mugar Life Sciences building reported a group of high school age youths in the building. The group was loud and unruly, walking into several lab areas and emptying a fire extinguisher in the building. The group left before officers arrived, but part of the group was found later in the Curry Student Center. Several of the youths were identified and escorted off campus.

Friday, March 5 2:30 p.m. A male graduate student reported his laptop missing after leaving it unattended in an office in Cullinane Hall on Thursday evening for approximately 15 minutes.

Sunday. March 7 3 a.m. A fire alarm evacuated West Campus B. The fire alarm was triggered after someone emptied a fire extinguisher in the building.

11 a.m. A 20-year-old male student reported his windshield had been smashed after he left it illegally parked near the Wollaston’s in West Campus.

Monday, March 8 7 a.m. A staff member in West Campus C reported all the light bulbs had been removed from one of the elevators.

5:30 p.m. A 25-year-old female student reported her laptop missing after leaving it unattended for 15 minutes on the fourth floor of Snell Library.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Tuesday, February 24

11:30 a.m. ResLife staff found a large number of swords, knives and other medieval weaponry while conducting room inspections at an apartment on 54 Westland Ave. Approximately 10 of the weapons are illegal in Massachusetts. The residents of the apartment, two 21-year-old male students, were unaware that certain weapons were illegal in Massachusetts. The illegal weapons were confiscated permanently, and the legal ones are being held by Northeastern Police (NUPD) until the students ship them home.