Northeastern Crime Log

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Monday, June 14 11:30 a.m.

A 23-year-old female student reported someone attempted to steal her purse while she was exiting the Massachusetts Avenue T stop. Her wallet contained $65. The suspect dropped her purse and fled the scene with the cash.

1:30 p.m. A female staff member from Robinson Hall left her backpack unattended for 15 minutes. When she returned, it was missing. It contained $30 in cash and some jewelry.

6 p.m. An 18-year-old female student playing Frisbee on Centennial Commons left her backpack unattended. About an hour later, she went to retrieve it and it was missing. The bag contained her cell phone.

10:30 p.m. Orientation staff placed a call from Stetson East to the Northeastern University Police Department (NUPD) saying they smelled marijuana in the residence hall. NUPD went to the room where the odor was coming from and two incoming freshmen admitted to smoking. Their parents were contacted and they were sent home immediately. At 2:30 p.m. that afternoon, the students had attended a group session with all orientees and their parents on the school’s drug and alcohol policies.

Tuesday, June 15 10 a.m.

NUPD stopped a truck driver going the wrong way down Leon Street on his way to a delivery at the West Village construction site. NUPD arrested the man, Albert Vines, 47, of Dorchester, for an outstanding warrant for failure to pay fines implemented for marijuana use.

Wednesday, June 16 1:30 a.m.

A Community Receptionist at 319 Huntington Ave. reported two men and one woman who broke the window of the front door and ran away.

10:30 a.m. NUPD found a man sleeping on the couch on the second floor of the student center, and questioned him for being there. NUPD arrested the man, Kwaku Frimpong, 25, of Cambridge, for a default warrant for a previous drug offense in Cambridge. Frimpong claimed to be an NU student, but he was not currently registered and appeared to be homeless.

1:30 p.m. A 20-year-old male student living at 148 Hemenway St. returned home to find his apartment in disarray and the front door forced open. The leased property houses two 20-year-old male students and one 21-year-old male student. Two of the three students’ laptops were stolen.

Friday, June 18 2 a.m. An NUPD officer came upon two people on The Fenway breaking into a car behind the Forsyth Dental School. NUPD arrested Stephen Preston, 45, and Billy Jones, 42, both of Boston.

Monday, June 21 6:30 p.m. A 21-year-old male student playing wiffle ball on the field by Speare Hall had left his cell phone unattended and when he returned an hour later it was gone.

Boston Police were in pursuit of two people suspected of a drug offense. The suspects fled into the Renaissance Garage. MBTA police and NUPD assisted. The suspects were apprehended and the officers confiscated a significant amount of cocaine along with a loaded gun.

Thursday, June 24 1:30 p.m. An NUPD officer approached a man partially nude on Camden Street by the Columbus Avenue tennis courts. The man was questioned and he claimed to be a homeless, regular drug user. The man, Robert Jackson, 42, was arrested for a default warrant on larceny of a vehicle in Dorchester. Jackson said his current address was at the Pine Street Inn.

Saturday, June 26 Noon A Tufts University medical student studying in Snell Library left her purse unattended to make photocopies. When she returned $50 was missing.

Sunday, June 27 3 p.m. An officer stopped two men and one woman, not affiliated with NU, in the Carter Park area sharing a joint. The joint was disposed of and they were told to leave the area.

Monday, June 28 2 a.m. NUPD assisted a condominium association security officer on Gainsborough Street responding to an apartment with a loud party believed to be hosted by an NU student. A 22-year-old female student was referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) for hosting a loud party and having uncooperative guests.

5 p.m. An NUPD officer discovered a middle-aged man sleeping in the Curry Student Center. The officer questioned him and arrested the man for trespassing. The man, Harold Morris, 46, claimed to be homeless and unemployed.

10:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female student reported her former roommate had opened a cell phone account using her ID and credit card. When she received the bill, the roommate had made $400 in calls. Earlier in the school year, the student said she allowed her roommate to open an account as a favor, but her roommate’s phone later broke. The roommate did not have permission to open an account the second time. NUPD mediated and got the phone back from the student’s roommate. OSCCR will continue the mediation.

Wednesday, June 30 5 p.m. A female staff member left her office unattended and when she returned, $40 in cash and an MBTA pass were stolen from her wallet.

Saturday, July 3 11 p.m. An NUPD officer was flagged down on Forsyth Street near Speare Hall by a 19-year-old male not affiliated with the school. He reported someone had stolen his backpack. He pointed out someone walking down the street, a friend of the 19-year-old male, also 19 years old. The males had been drinking and then had an argument. One of the males allegedly slapped the other male. They will not be pressing charges. NUPD confiscated a BB gun one of the males had in his possession.