Baseball: NU tops UMass in Beanpot semifinals

Junior pitcher JT Ross earned the win over UMass–Amherst last night by pitching six innings and giving up three runs, none of which were earned.
By: Anthony Gulizia, News Correspondent

The Huskies snapped out of an 11-game losing streak last night with an 8-5 victory over UMass–Amherst in the first round of the Beanpot.

“We broke the streak today which was huge, but we struggled,” head coach Neil McPhee said after the victory. “Hopefully things will start going our way.”

Things didn’t seem to be going their way after the Minutemen started off strong in the top of the first inning with a two run triple by centerfielder Brian Baudinet. However, the Husky bats stayed red-hot after scoring 12 in Tuesday night’s loss, scoring four in the bottom half of the frame.

After a leadoff single from sophomore first baseman Matt Miller and senior right fielder Tony DiCesare reached on an error, senior center fielder Frank Compagnone grounded into a fielder’s choice, and Miller scored from second with great base running.

“We’ve talked about it all year, with a groundball with two outs and we’re going to keep going from third in case there’s a bobble or a throw in the dirt or the guy beats it,” Miller said. “And I just keep going like we’ve been practicing all winter.”

Miller reaching home even surprised Compagnone.

“I was pumped, I didn’t think he had a chance to score and I was definitely excited when he did,” Compagnone said.

The Huskies tacked on two more in the inning and carried a 4-2 lead into the second.

The Huskies added a run in the bottom of the second inning and another in the fifth inning when senior first baseman Brendan Stokes sent a towering fly ball well over the left field fence for a 6-2 lead.

The Minutemen answered, scoring the top of the sixth after a groundball by Copa found its way through Maguire’s five-hole, scoring right fielder Mike Donato.

The Huskies retaliated with a run of their own in the bottom half when freshmen second baseman Alan Pastyrnak scored after DiCesare grounded out to first.

Junior left-hander JT Ross pitched six strong innings, giving up only three hits before being relieved by freshman right-hander Dylan Maki. Ross settled in after a shaky first inning, allowing only one hit after the first. The Minutemen scored three while Ross was in, however they were all unearned.

In the top of the seventh, the Minutemen scored two more unearned runs, compliments of the Huskies defense. Two passed balls, an error and an arid pickoff attempt left the game at 7-5.

Sophomore southpaw Drew Leenhouts made a rare appearance out of the bullpen, relieving Maki in the eighth and closing out the game.
The Minutemen threatened to tie it in the top of the eighth after a walk and a double put two runners in scoring position. Leenhouts battled back and struck out designated hitter Ryan Cusick to silence the rally.

“He [Leenhouts] started off the inning tentative, and finished it like a major leaguer,” McPhee said. “He corrected himself mid-inning and went after them.”

In the bottom of the eighth, Miller added an insurance run with a double that scored Maguire to make it 8-5 and seal the victory.

Before the Huskies ended their dry spell, they dropped their 11th straight game of the season Tuesday as they squared off with the Harvard Crimson. Gillis led the Husky offense with four runs batted in on the day in a 13-12 loss.

“Yesterday [Tuesday] was as frustrating as it’s been for the three weeks,” McPhee said. “There’s been so many where we could’ve, should’ve and would’ve won.”

After the top half of the first, the Huskies were down 1-0 before Miller led off with a double, and Gustafson drove him in with a triple. Compagnone then drove in Gustafson with a groundout to the shortstop.

The Crimson scored three unanswered runs, pulling out to a 4-2 lead before the Huskies tied it back up with back-to-back bases loaded walks in the bottom half of the third inning.

The wheels came off for the Huskies in the top of the fifth as Harvard tacked on five runs for a 9-4 lead until Maguire drove a two-run double down the left field line, making it 9-6.

Harvard scored two more runs in the sixth for an 11-6 lead, but the Husky bats came to life, producing four runs to make it 11-10. The Crimson added two more in the eighth to take a 13-10 lead, and held on for the win.

In his first collegiate start, freshmen right-hander Chris Carmain took the loss, pitching four innings while the Crimson scored seven runs, four of which were unearned.

The Huskies look to tally their first victory in conference play this weekend as they host George Mason, and will rematch Boston College to try and repeat as Beanpot champions Wednesday at 7 p.m.