Northeastern Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Thursday, February 17 10:30 a.m. A 19-year-old male student reported he believed he was ripped off for about $700 the night before in a scam. He said a man approached him on Hemenway Street and asked him if he had any small denomination bills. The man claimed to have several hundred dollars but only in large bills. He said he needed gas but the gas stations would only accept smaller bills. The student got in the man’s car with him and drove around the city, stopping at several ATMs. The student withdrew a total of about $700 in small bills. The student was then dropped off somewhere near the campus the next morning, and remembered he had left his backpack and ATM card in the man’s car. Police obtained the license plate number of the car, which was reported missing. Officers also located a female who was in the car during the incident, and after questioning, officers discovered she is officially listed as a missing person. Northeastern Police is still investigating.

3 p.m. An officer saw a man and a woman arguing on Leon Street loudly, pushing and shoving. The officer separated the two and determined they are both students who reside in different buildings in West Village. The students said they were boyfriend and girlfriend and they had an argument, during the course of which the male student bit the hand of his girlfriend. The man, 23, was arrested and charged with domestic violence, assault and battery. He was told he cannot go near the female student’s residence hall, and he will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). The suspect was arraigned at Roxbury District Court the next day. UPDATE: The charges were dismissed.

7 p.m. A male law school student reported he had left his laptop and case unattended in the law school corridor for about three hours that afternoon. When he returned for his computer, it was missing. His wallet was also in the laptop case, which contained IDs and credit cards.

8:30 p.m. A candy machine in the lobby of West Village H was found broken into and all the money inside, as well as the candy, were missing.

Friday, February 18 12:30 a.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) in Kerr Hall reported an odor of what was suspected to be marijuana. Officers discovered an 18-year-old male resident who was showing signs of being under the influence of marijuana. There was also a fan blowing and a blanket under the door. An 18-year-old female guest who is also a student was present as well. Both denied smoking but after repeated questioning they admitted to smoking and turned over a bag of marijuana. Both will be referred to OSCCR.

8 a.m. The manager of Wollaston’s at the Marino Center caught a 21-year-old female non-student stealing aspirin. She has been warned not to come onto campus again.

3 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported she left her backpack under a table in the InfoCommons while she left to go to the printer. It contained her wallet, credit cards, $20 and several signed checks amounting to about $300. Later in the day someone returned her backpack, which had been found in the InfoCommons intact with nothing missing.

3:30 p.m. A 24-year-old female student parked her car in Renaissance Garage overnight. When she returned the next morning her stereo and iPod were missing. There was no forced entry into the car.

6:30 p.m. A 23-year-old male student also reported that when he returned to his car in the Renaissance Garage he had a window broken and his radio missing.

10:30 p.m. An officer saw two males standing by a car with its trunk open with a 30-pack of beer inside. A 24-year-old had purchased the beer but it appeared as though he had been about to share it with a 19-year-old, so police confiscated it. Neither male was a student.

11 p.m. An anonymous person reported a bottle had been thrown out of a window in Smith Hall. Police and Residential Life staff investigated, but no one was in the room the bottle had allegedly been thrown out of. The resident, an 18-year-old male student who had signed two non-student guests into the room earlier in the night, was questioned, but said he did not know anything about any bottles being thrown. He did, however, admit to leaving his guests unattended in the room. The guests were located outside the building, but denied they had been throwing anything out the window. They were told not to come back to campus. The student will be referred to OSCCR for signing in guests and leaving them unattended.

Sunday, February 20 12:30 a.m. Police were called to West Village G where an RA reported a loud gathering. Officers found 50 people in an apartment, none of whom lived there. All were told to leave.

1:30 a.m. Officers responded to 103 Hemenway St. on reports to BPD that there was a fight in the apartment. Police broke up the loud party and found plastic cups littering the apartment, along with bottles and cans. The residents of the apartment, one 19-year-old student and one 20-year-old student, both female, were hosting the party and will be referred to OSCCR.

2 a.m. An RA in White Hall called to report an intoxicated female vomiting in a stairwell. Officers located an 18-year-old female student who appeared to be half-conscious and vomiting. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. On the way out, officers also encountered a cab driver outside who had just dropped her and several friends off. They hadn’t paid the fare. The students will be referred to OSCCR.

8:30 a.m. A 25-year-old female student from West Village H awoke to discover her laptop missing. She had invited some friends over the previous evening and went to bed while her friends and other guests were still in her apartment. Police spoke to the guests, who did not know anything about the laptop.

1:30 pm A 21-year-old male student in Douglass Park reported that sometime between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday someone stole his laptop from his apartment. He was away from his apartment, and his roommate was home, but was asleep. During that time the door to the apartment was unlocked.

7:30 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported while she was waiting for the T at the Huntington Avenue T stop at around 7 a.m. that morning a middle-aged man sitting on the bench also waiting for the T exposed himself. She screamed and the man ran off.