Letter: Huskies need to get loud, buy Beanpot tickets

Each year, for two weeks in February, the eyes of the college hockey world focus squarely on Boston and the Beanpot. The tournament — one of the great traditions in college sports — is perhaps the best showcase of college hockey talent outside of the Frozen Four.

The annual battle for Boston’s hockey bragging rights is also an exhibit of the greatest college hockey fans anywhere in the country. And in that category, we rank among the very best.

Northeastern has a long, proud fan tradition. Our fans — and especially our students — make Matthews Arena one of the most feared venues in Hockey East. And each February, Huskies’ fans flock to Causeway Street, making our Beanpot sections the largest, loudest fan sections in the entire Garden.

That loyal support makes a difference. It helped propel us to a dominating win over BC and championship game appearance in 2009, and it lifted us to a convincing win over Harvard in the 2010 tournament.

To the thousands of you who’ve cheered our teams and helped to continue our proud fan tradition, thank you.
We need that same level of support at this year’s Beanpot. It’s time, again, to put our Husky pride on display for Boston and for the nation.

The men’s hockey team has given us plenty to cheer about over the last few weeks. The team has won four of its last six games, going 4-1-1 since the semester break. Included in that run was a convincing 3-0 win over Harvard in a Beanpot preview game.

The DogHouse roared back to life on Saturday night. With the help of a raucous Matthews crowd, our Huskies potted a late goal, then furiously fought a late overtime power play in a tie with No. 10 Maine.

We need that same energy in the Garden when, together, we battle Harvard on Feb. 7 in the Beanpot opening round.

The final Beanpot student ticket sale will take place this Saturday (Jan. 29) at Matthews Arena at 3 p.m., immediately after the men’s basketball game.

Support your school. Support your classmates. Continue the proud Northeastern fan tradition.

– Peter Roby is Northeastern’s director of athletics.