Best of NU: Dunkin’ Donuts

News staff photo/Dan McCarthy

The alarm is going off. It’s 7:30 a.m., and it’s almost time for that 8 a.m. class every Northeastern student dreads. There is just one thing to do first.

Shower? No. Eat? No. Coffee? Yes, please.

There are plenty of options for coffee on campus, but Northeastern students voted Dunkin’ Donuts as No. 1.

Between having Dunks branches in Shillman Hall, Ruggles Station, Hayden Hall and on Huntington Avenue, students are never too far from their favorite coffee.

The Canton-based chain does not simply offer the typical black or regular, hot or iced coffee. It also has a wide variety of lattes, espressos and Coolattas. Hot chocolate and tea are also served at all Dunkin’ locations. And all franchises near campus, except for the one at Ruggles Station, take Husky Dollars.

“Dunkin’ Donuts is good because I just want coffee, not a caramel whatever,” said Neelabh Bharti, a middler political science major.

In addition to the obvious donut, Dunkin Donuts offers breakfast sandwiches. The Big N’ Toasty, a sandwich of eggs, bacon and cheese between two pieces of Texas Toast, is a new option for Dunkin’ lovers everywhere.

“It’s good in the morning because the line tends to move quickly,” Bharti said.

Espresso Royale Café and Starbucks came in at a close second and third, respectively. Espresso Royale is located on Gainsborough Street and offers a wide variety of coffees and teas. Starbucks has two campus locations, in afterHOURS and on Huntington Avenue, and offers a range of signature drinks including lattes and frappuchinos, as well as tea and pastries.

– Brenda Maguire, News Correspondent