Religions join at annual Progressive Dinner event

By Melissa Werthmann, News Correspondent

Northeastern held its sixth annual Interfaith Progressive Dinner Tuesday to encourage interaction and dialogue among different religions in a friendly environment with a variety of cultural food.

“The point was to get people together from a variety of backgrounds and traditions,” said Director of Spiritual Life Shelli Jankowski-Smith.

The night began in the Sacred Space in Ell Hall, followed by appetizers from the Islamic Center, a main course at the Hillel Center and dessert at the Catholic Center.

Kerri Liss, a junior industrial engineer major, serves as the historian of the Catholic Student Association’s executive board. Liss said the event was a great opportunity to meet new people in different environments and hoped it is offered again next year.

Michelle Goldberg, a senior communications major and president of NU Hillel, said she thought the night was a definite success, with an open atmosphere and great food.

Margreta York, a sophomore environmental science major, said she is not affiliated with any particular religion on campus, but meditates in the Sacred Space. York identifies as Hare Krsna and heard about the dinner through email.

“It’s more valuable to see commonalities between us all,” she said.

Elaf Basri, a senior information science and finance major and president of the Islamic Society, has attended the event for several years, and said that each year is “truly unique.” He said the dinner was full of positive energy in a very peaceful environment.

“I am a huge fan of multi-faith efforts,” Basri said. “This is the most beautiful manifestation I could think of.”