Calendar: Jan. 12-18

By Emily Huizenga, News Staff

Entry of the Week: SoWa Winter Market
Though Boston’s original art and indie design market has moved indoors, it’s as sunny and festive as ever. The SoWa Winter Market, the cold-weather cousin of the South End’s popular summer hang-out, offers goods from a vast array of local farmers and producers. Direct producer-to-consumer commodities include grass-fed meats, cheese, root vegetables, greenhouse fare, farm fresh eggs, seeds and starter plants, plus artisan breads, baked goods, jams and preserves. The market will be open every Sunday until April 29. Stop by and gather supplies for a farm-fresh Sunday-night meal. 485 Harrison Ave.; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; free; www.sowaopenmarket.com.

Thursday, Jan. 12
Fast, easy and cheap are not words usually associated with French cooking, but author Eléonor Picciotto utilizes all three in her new cookbook “French Cuisine for the Young & Broke.” The book includes healthy yet tasty French recipes for people with little time, inspiration and appliances – every college student. Picciotto will showcase her new book and offer samples of the delicious recipes tonight at the French Library and Cultural Center from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. The event is open to all ages and an RSVP is requested (617-912-0400). 53 Marlborough St.; 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.; $5; www.frenchculturalcenter.org.

Friday, Jan. 13
Do something pensive this weekend and wander over to “Processes and Dreams,” the new ethereal photography exhibit at Panopticon Gallery in Boston. In it, eight photographers test the boundaries of reality and fantasy, revealing a collection of ghostly, fanciful, haunting pictures that aren’t always as they seem. While the photos reflect the artists’ dreams, memories and fragmented scenes of life, the most interesting aspect of the display may be similarities between one artist and another, or one viewer and an artist. Whatever the case, the exhibit is sure to be beautiful and thought-provoking. It is scheduled through Feb. 28 with an opening reception Friday night from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. 502c Commonwealth Ave.; 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., reception from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.; free; www.panopticongallery.com.

Saturday, Jan. 14
Happy birthday, David Bowie. Middle East is celebrating the Thin White Duke’s 65th birthday with a full night of total blam blam Bowie covers and Bowie-themed burlesque. Performers include Preacher Roe, the Daily Pravda, Niki Luparelli and The Gold Diggers, with burlesque by Machete and Thru the Keyhole Burlesque. Sales of advance tickets for $10 stop at 7 p.m., and tickets are available at the door with cash only. Doors open at 8 p.m. It’s like Bowie himself is extending a personal invitation, saying, “let’s dance.” 480 Massachusetts Ave.; 8 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.; $10 to $12; 18+; www.mideastclub.com.

Sunday, Jan. 15
Chances are, when one thinks “Sunday afternoon,” sketching a nude doesn’t come to mind. For those intrigued, however, the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) presents an artist’s demonstration in nude drawing this Sunday, from noon to 3 p.m. Artist Joe Carrigg will provide an explanation of the techniques and various styles of life drawing in conjunction with the exhibition Degas and the Nude. Carrigg has extensive experience in drafting, designing, etching and sandblast-carving monuments. And yes, there will be a live model sans clothes. Visitors are welcome to drop in and attempt a sketch any time throughout the event. MFA, Riley Seminar Room 156; 12 to 3 p.m.; free; www.mfa.org.

Monday, Jan. 16
It’s safe to say most college kids don’t have enough bubbles in their lives. Enter BubbleMania, a high-energy, soapy show featuring visual comedy, music, quick wit and the tantalizing allure of morphing effervescent liquids. Venture out to the Leventhal-Sidman Jewish Community Center and you’ll not only see crazy bubble forms, but perhaps have the opportunity to be enveloped in a life-size globule yourself. What better way to spend a day off? 333 Nahanton St., Newton; 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.; $11; www.bostonjcc.org.

Tuesday, Jan. 17
Class is canceled on Monday for a reason. Take time to remember the life and legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. by visiting “Martin Luther King Boulevard,” a photography exhibit displaying the handfuls of streets in cities around the country, all of which were named in his honor after his assassination. Though the weather, foliage and geography differ, the streets all emulate a common reverence for the great leader and thus make a powerful statement about his dedication to unity. This poignant exhibit is in the Griffin Gallery of the Griffin Museum of Photography now through March 1, with free admission on Thursdays. 67 Shore Road; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; free on Thursdays; www.griffinmuseum.org.

Wednesday, Jan. 18
Good Life restaurant and bar is known for its quirky nightlife. Wednesday night they’ll host Punch Out – an informal but rambunctious Wii Punch Out tournament concocted after the success of their Tetris and Wii Tennis tournaments. Whoever dominates the two Nintento Wiis and Atari 2,600 stations will receive dinner for two at Good Life. The event will also feature hip-hop entertainment from DJs El Amado, Thaddeus Jeffries and Team Teamwork. With no dress code and no cover, there’s no reason not to attend. 28 Kingston St.; 9 p.m.; free; 21+; www.goodlifebar.com.

Have an event coming up? E-mail the details to [email protected].

Events may be canceled or rescheduled. Call ahead to confirm.