Field hockey knocks off top ranked teams

By Andy MacDougall, News Correspondent

It’s only the start of September, but the Northeastern field hockey team has already shown the poise and durability of a potential postseason contender.

The Huskies are currently 3-0 after defeating some of the nation’s top ranked clubs, and have rode the success of experienced seniors, talented underclassmen and growing chemistry to mark themselves as one of the best programs in the country.

“We’re all on the same page,” said senior forward Crystal Poland, who was voted Colonial Athletic Association Preseason Most Valuable Player for the second consecutive season.

“We communicate with each other, and everyone has different roles where some people are bigger communicators or others come out and lead by example.”

The team had to mesh early, as Northeastern started the season with the Sherrill Brakmeier Classic in Louisville, Ky., where they faced University of Louisville Aug. 24, and Northwestern University two days later. The programs were ranked No. 23 and 20, respectively, in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association preseason poll.

After watching a 1-0 lead turn into a 2-1 deficit, Poland stuffed a goal past Louisville netminder Erin Conrad off a Lindsay Bennett corner just before the half to knot the game at two apiece.

Midway through the second half, freshman forward Deirdre Duke registered her first career goal from the top of the circle, giving the Huskies a 3-2 lead they would keep to win their first game of the season.

Against Northwestern on Aug. 26, the defense was led by senior goalie Lizzie Priest. She stopped 11 of 12 shots, coming within two of tying her career-high, as Northeastern’s circle defense was relentless against the Wildcats.

Poland capitalized on a chance early, netting her second goal of the year just 1:42 into the game. And with the game tied at 1-1 with no time remaining on the clock, Poland buried a penalty corner shot for the 2-1 victory.

“She definitely thrives in high-pressure environments,” said head coach Cheryl Murtagh, now in her 25th with the Huskies. “You know when you have a corner with no time left on the clock whose hands you want the ball in, and the other team knew it too, yet she was still able to get it done.”

Within its first weekend of play, the team was already off to a fast start, and with it came some early recognition. Duke, who hails from Dublin, was voted as the first Colonial Athletic Association Freshman Player of the Week this season for her game-winning goal against Louisville.

“It means a lot,” Duke said. “ It’s always nice to be recognized.”

“She’s a sick dangler,” Poland said. “She just deeks everyone out. She’s a really good addition to our team this year.”

The Huskies were at it again Sunday, taking on Dartmouth University. Poland scored less than three minutes into the first and would score two more goals before the 40-minute mark of the game. Sophomore midfielder Caroline Judge added the first goal of her career, and Priest made six saves in the 4-1 Husky victory.

The hat trick was Poland’s first of 2012 and fifth of her career. The strong showing against the Big Green earned Poland the title of this week’s CAA Co-Player of the Week.

In addition to all the personal awards, the Huskies jumped seven spots to No. 14 in this week’s NFHCA’s Coaches Poll, the second-largest move of any ranked team.

This weekend, they head to East Lansing, Mich., to face No. 6 Virginia on Saturday and No. 20 Michigan State on Sunday.

“I think we have a lot of potential,” Priest said. “And if we fix our mistakes from the previous games, it’s going to be a great season.”