Field hockey tops JMU in overtime

By Andy MacDougall, News Correspondent

Senior forwards Lindsay Bennett and Crystal Poland combined for three goals to lead the Huskies to a 3-2 overtime win Friday night over Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) rival James Madison University in Virginia.

Bennett tallied a goal and an assist, while Poland netted two goals, including the game-winner 1:11 into overtime.

“It was a good win,” Bennett said. “It was a little rocky at the start. We weren’t pleased with our performance at halftime, but I think what makes us a good team this year is that we can pull it together in the second half and really change and come up with a win.”

After a disheartening loss to Old Dominion University the week prior, Northeastern (8-2) spent the week getting back to basics, especially with regard to penalty corners. The team’s practice during the week showed up against the Dukes, as Northeastern converted on two early penalty corners that helped keep the game close early.

Just more than six minutes into the game, Bennett took a penalty corner and sent the pass to sophomore back Kate Carlson. Carlson returned it to Bennett, who found the back of the net for an early 1-0 lead.

The Dukes spent little time getting back into the game. Only four minutes after Bennett gave Northeastern the lead, James Madison’s sophomore midfield Dana Allaband received the penalty corner at the top of the key, dribbled into the circle and sent a shot that deflected into the net at 10:16 tying the game.

But the Dukes weren’t done. With 18:22 left in the half, junior back Amy Goldstein gathered a loose ball in the center circle and snuck it past Northeastern senior goaltender Lizzie Priest to give James Madison a 2-1 lead.

Northeastern earned a penalty corner just before the halftime break. Bennett took the corner and got it up to senior forward Nicky Graham, who left it for Poland. Poland wristed a shot past goalie Lena Wimmert just as the horn sounded, returning the game to a tie, 2-2.

In the second half, each squad had difficulty getting shots off in the circle. The Huskies outshot the Dukes 7-3 in the frame, but the game remained tied at the end of regulation.

In the overtime, Poland wasted no time ending the game, as she earned a fast break down the right side 1:11 into the frame, and was able to put home the game-winner.

The Huskies are now 2-1 in overtime games this season.

With their strong showing against the Dukes, the Huskies jumped ahead of CAA rival Old Dominion in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association poll to No. 8.

In addition to the team moving up the ranks, Poland moved into a tie for third on Northeastern’s all-time career goals list with her pair of scores Friday. Her 66th career goal tied Keri Bettenhauser (1994-97), and puts her one behind all-time leaders Mari Creatini (2001-04) and Denise Nasca (1992-1995).

Poland also sits fourth on the program’s all-time points list, behind Creatini, Bettenhauser and Nasca.

The Huskies have a short week as they return to action Wednesday against Harvard University at 7 p.m. On Friday, the team will head to the University of Delaware to face the Blue Hens at 7 p.m.