Event calendar: Oct. 4-10

Entry of the week:
Saturday, Oct. 6
One of the most exciting things about the month of October – apart from the leaves changing and cooler weather – is Halloween. And perhaps more frightening than hearing scary stories is actually experiencing one with no embellishments or exaggeration added for entertainment value. People may know Harvard for its incredibly rich history of fascinating people and events. But what about other tales? Come explore the hidden secrets of Cambridge with a “lantern-led” walk along Harvard Square’s historic haunts through this 90-minute walking tour. Go back in time, marvel at and witness the early days of Harvard Yard, learn about the different murder stories and see for yourself some of Harvard’s reported ghosts. Harvard Square, 1450 Massachusetts Ave. Cambridge; 7:30 p.m.; $10 for students $15 for adults; www.cambridgehaunts.com

Thursday. Oct. 4
For students who religiously watched all seasons of MTV’s The Hills as well as The City, or those with an interest in fashion, then come and see Whitney Port. Through many seasons, audiences have seen Port go through transformations in her career – from being an intern at Teen Vogue to working for Diane Von Furstenberg in New York City. The reality star who’s also written a book titled “True Whit” (a guide to makeup, cooking and fashion tips) and launched her own fashion line, will be giving a motivational talk to college students. Presented by Council for University Programs and Delta Zeta. Blackman Auditorium, 360 Huntington Ave.; 6:30 p.m.; Free.

Friday, Oct. 5
The Tony Award-nominated play, “Good People” written by locally born Pulitzer Prize winner David Lindsay-Abaire, is sure to entertain audiences. Set in South Boston, the play tells the story of single mom Margie Walsh who is fired from her job as a cashier at a dollar store. This play explores a woman who navigates her way through life and tries to reconnect with an old boyfriend for employment – here’s hoping he’ll help her get back to her feet again. Website Berkshire Fine Arts said it’s “enormously entertaining” and the Boston Globe called the play “masterful.” The Huntington Theatre Company, 264 Huntington Ave., Boston; 8 p.m.; $15 for students; www.huntingtontheatre.org

Sunday, Oct. 7
Calling all foodies looking to eat locally, the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts presents the third annual Boston Local Food Festival. The city’s premier festival promotes eating local food and produce. Attendants will be able to meet local farmers, view fish stock and see demos of meat cutting, and will hopefully be able to learn how to cook and eat healthier. Aside from the demos, there is also a “Do-It-Yourself” (DIY) portion that will allow beginners and professionals to get their hands on cooking and preparing healthier foods. This outdoor festival is not only about the celebration of locally grown and produced food, as it also wants to increase accessibility of healthy food for all residents of Boston. Delicious dishes will be available for $5 or less. The Rose Kennedy Greenway, Atlantic Ave & Milk St. Boston; 11 a.m.; Free; www.bostonlocalfoodfestival.com

Monday, Oct. 8
The Museum of Fine Arts is opening its doors for general admissions all day – for free. The theme for this year is “Celebrations Around the World.” A plethora of events will be happening throughout the day that showcases nationalism and internationalism. Events like Hispanic Heritage Month Short Film Festival, Silver Embossing, Passports to the Americas and Introduction to Museum Collections are just some of the few that visitors can tour and be immersed in. See website for complete schedule. Museum of Fine Arts, 465 Huntington Ave. Boston; 10 a.m.; Free; www.mfa.org

Tuesday, Oct. 9
Imagine receiving a phone call from a BBC journalist who said you were “sentenced to death” by the Ayatollah Khomeini because you wrote a novel that was accused of being against Islam, the Prophet and Quran. This was exactly what author Salman Rushdie went through on Valentine’s Day of 1989. The writer, together with his family, moved from house to house constantly in threat of murder for over nine years. Spoiler: He changed his name to Joseph Anton, based on two of his favorite writers. In his memoir, Rushdie will be discussing this memoir, the crucial battle of hiding and fighting for freedom of speech, living with armed policemen and his protectors as well as struggles with publishers and other writers. First Parish Church, 1446 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 7 p.m.; $35; www.harvard.com/event

Wednesday, Oct. 10
Give your tastebuds a break from the usual dining hall food and head to the Xhibition Kitchen where Naomi Duguid, a photographer, writer, world traveler and author of the book “Burma: Rivers of Flavor,” will be giving students a cooking demo from her cookbook and teach how to make use of tasty sauces, chutneys and relishes (Burmese essentials). Duguid will also be demonstrating how to cook chicken roasted with potatoes, turmeric and lemongrass, seafood noodle stir-fry with shrimp, mussels and their authentic dessert that consists of sticky rice, coconut and palm sugar. Cookbook signing will follow. Xhibition Kitchen, Stetson West Eatery; 12 p.m.; Free; www.nudining.com

Compiled by Angel Feliciano, News Staff

Have an event? Email it to us at [email protected]