Fitness Column: Husky girls work hard too

It’s safe to say that once I left campus this summer and was taken away from my typical college routine of working out at Marino on weekday nights, I gained a few. Perhaps it was all the old people crowding the ellipticals at my hometown gym or the plates of hummus and pita I was force-fed when I went on my Dialogue to the Middle East – nonetheless, I was on a mission to get back in shape when I returned this semester.

Now, as a previous recruit and member of the women’s rowing team, I like to think I have a solid foundation of knowledge when it comes to what a good workout is. But, no matter my good intentions, getting my butt to the gym five to six days a week remains a struggle – so I finally decided it was time to take action.

First, I joined the club powerlifting team. That’s right boys, this girl isn’t afraid to lift some weights, even if the weight room in Marino can be incredibly intimidating for any female with the confidence to wander in during prime meathead hour (I can probably squat more than most of you anyway.)

Then I joined group fitness. A move that I was expecting would be an easy one. Go take some fun classes, jump around a little bit, lift some tiny weights, then work out afterwards because they surely wouldn’t be enough of a real work out, right? Wrong. I quickly learned being “the new kid” could be quite overwhelming and that I had some catching up to do.

I kicked my first week off with a 45-minute cycle class.

“Do we have any beginners today?” asked the instructor. I raised my hand as I struggled to fix the seat settings on my bike and waited for assistance. Luckily, I got through the class with relative ease. I had taken spin classes before, so this wasn’t much of a challenge. My confidence grew.

The next day I signed up for High Energy Advanced Training, or H.E.A.T., a high cardio and sculpting class that I heard from friends was a great workout. Again, I was the only new person in the class. I grabbed the heaviest dumbbells and medicine ball while the instructor explained what the next hour entailed.

After about 15-minutes of jumping jacks, squats and step-ups, I was ready to lie on the ground and never get up. Not only was I out of breath, but I was also dripping with sweat – super attractive. How were all these tiny girls in tank tops and booty shorts killing me during these workouts?

I got through the class giving up all my energy and turning to modified versions of the exercises when it was necessary. But I didn’t give up hope – I could only get better, and I did.

Each class I took became easier and easier, making my confidence and endurance grow stronger. Until I finally decided to challenge myself with a class called “Plyos and Conditioning,” which should really be renamed “Hell.”

During questionably the longest hour of my life, I attempted to do variations of killer wall sits, squat jumps, planks and burpies. And by the end, was ready to be wheeled back to my apartment.

Needless to say, I waddled around campus the next day. But although it was a class that I need to work up to, I was proud of myself for trying and I couldn’t give up now. So the next night, I geared up in Lululemon, pulled on my hot pink Nikes and circle scarf and made my way back to the gym for a yoga class.

I’ve never been a truly flexible person, and that didn’t change during my first session of yoga. Instead of finding my inner peace, my face was frequently finding the floor. I casually pretended that I wasn’t the klutz in the back tripping all over herself during “downward dog.” How was I supposed to know that you shouldn’t wear socks when you’re doing a one-handed side-plank with your leg pointed back in the air towards your head? Now I know for the next time.

At the end of the day, I’m still the girl in the back corner, occasionally making a fool of myself because I’m doing the wrong exercise or completely off timing – but at least I’m making a solid effort to better myself while having fun. So the next time you’re wondering if you should go to a fitness class, do it. Besides, you’re only “the new kid” until your second class.

Christina Bivona, News Staff