Event calendar: Nov. 1-7

Compiled by Angel Feliciano, News Staff

Entry of the Week: 
’Tis the season to be jolly! Even though it’s only the first week of November, it’s never too early to start buying presents. The Boston Christmas Festival, on Sunday, Nov. 4, will feature 300 shops from America’s Finest Craft Artists. From bargain hunters to expensive buyers, shoppers will find a plethora and an endless array of beautiful accessories, designer fashions, handcrafted jewelry and holiday decor. This festival will also get you into the spirit of preparing for the holidays. The festival will be selling tapestry Christmas stockings, wall hangings and garland wreaths, musical angel figurines, holiday elves, ornaments as well as collectible Santas. Tempting gourmet foods are also available throughout the festival. There will also be a gingerbread house competition. Participants create their masterpieces to be judged by a panel. Proceeds will go to a non profit organization, Housing Families dedicated to ending family homelessness. Seaport World Trade Center, Boston; 12 p.m.; $9 – $10; www.bostonchristmasfestival.com.

Thursday, Nov. 1
New York Times food writers Julia Moskin and Kim Severson will be doing a cooking demo for Northeastern students. Moskin and Severson who have written a cookbook, “CookFight,” take on their battle against each other in the kitchen. CookFight features two amazing cooks, 12 challenges and 125 delicious recipes with a foreword by former chief restaurant critic of the New York Times, Frank Bruni. If you’re a fan of cooking shows like Top Chef, Top Chef Masters, Iron Chef and Hell’s Kitchen, CookFight is a must-read and this event is one not to miss. After the cooking demo, a cookbook signing will follow. Xhibition Kitchen, Stetson West Eatery Northeastern; 12 p.m.; Free; www.nudining.com/events.

Friday, Nov. 2
He has been seen on Comedy Central, The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O’Brien and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson and Craig Kilborn. New England’s King of Comedy Bob Marley is on tour and coming to Boston to perform standup. Marley has sold out events in the past and has had multiple albums produced so people can relive his shows again and again. The Wilbur Theatre, 246 Tremont St. Boston; 7:30 p.m.; $27.50; www.thewilburtheatre.com.

Saturday, Nov. 3
Is there any better feeling than getting exercise? How about getting exercise and giving back too? The Breathe Deep Boston 5K Walk is for people of all ages. Part of the reason people participate in this event is to give back to the people whose lives have been affected by lung cancer. The main goal is to raise awareness of this disease and to also raise funds for research on how to improve therapies and early detection tools. Register at the website. DCR’s Castle Island Park, South Boston; 10 a.m.; $10-$25; www.bostonlungcancerwalk.com.

Monday, Nov. 5
With the presidential election drawing near, the media is swarming over which candidate is the frontrunner. Take a break from all the chaos and recount it again by sitting back and watch “Election Show”, an improvised show by comedians from Improv Boston. From the first presidential debate to what goes on behind all the efforts during a campaign season, see for yourself how it all plays out by watching actors improvise around slogans and attack ads from start to finish. Improv Boston, 40 Prospect St. Cambridge; 8 p.m.; $18, $14 with student ID; www.improvboston.com.

Tuesday, Nov. 6
What happens when a couple’s only daughter goes away to college? “Love and other Anxieties” is a documentary film about a woman dealing with her daughter’s departure and thinking about what she’ll do next with her husband of 20 years. Lyda Kuth, the writer and director of this film, explores the meaning of love and marriage. Kuth turns to experts and non-experts and asks for advice on their successes and failures of the heart. This documentary is poetic and deals with personal issues that are felt universally. According to the Boston Globe, the film is “Extraordinarily touching, and bears witness to the ache we all have to keep love fresh.” Coolidge Corner Theatre, 290 Harvard St. Brookline; 7 p.m.; $9.25; www.coolidge.org.

Wednesday, Nov. 7
In case you haven’t seen the new Fishes Exhibition at the Harvard Museum of Natural History, now is a good excuse to do so. After a major makeover, it reopens to the public. The exhibition will once again feature visitor-favorites as well as new specimens. 3D models, colorful graphic displays and the interactive multimedia station can all be viewed at Harvard’s Lauder Laboratory. The spectacular research of specimens done by faculty, staff and students is further explained in this exhibit. Harvard Museum of Natural History, 26 Oxford St. Cambridge; 9 a.m.; Free; www.hmnh.harvard.edu