Men’s soccer season ends with loss in NCAA tourney

By Eoghan Kelly, News Staff

The men’s soccer team’s season is over.

Northeastern lost to the fourth-seeded University of Connecticut 1-0 in the second round of the NCAA tournament Sunday in front of 4,675 fans at Morrone Stadium in Storss, Conn., bringing an end to one of the most prolific seasons in program history.

UConn (16-3-1) junior forward Mamadou Doudou Diouf scored the game’s only goal in the 23rd minute. After Northeastern (14-3-4) senior goalkeeper Oliver Blum saved a UConn free kick, the ball was headed back into the box for Diouf to put home and give UConn the lead.

Northeastern outshot UConn 10-5, including 5-1 in the first half, but registered only two shots on goal in the game. Senior forward Don Anding finished with a game-high six shots, and UConn sophomore goalkeeper Andre Blake finished with two saves in the shutout.

In only their second appearance in the NCAA Championship in program history, the Huskies earned their first-ever tournament win in regulation Thursday night when junior midfielder Dante Marini scored his first goal of the season to lift Northeastern over crosstown Boston College 1-0. Northeastern has never advanced past the second round.

Despite the loss, Northeastern had one of the most memorable seasons in school history. The Huskies set program records for wins (14), shutouts (10) and longest unbeaten streak (12 games), and tied the record for consecutive wins (six).

Senior forward Don Anding led the Colonial Athletic Association in points (35), points per game (1.75), goals (14) and was tied for the lead in game-winning goals (six), earning him CAA Player of the Year honors. His 14 goals were the highest single-season total of any Northeastern player since 1999.

Anding also scored the game-winner in double overtime against Hofstra University that won Northeastern its first-ever CAA title, guaranteeing the NCAA tournament bid.

Senior goalkeeper Oliver Blum finished first in the conference in goals against average (.53) and save percentage (.863), and finished eighth and 10th, respectively, in the NCAA in both categories.

A whopping nine Northeastern players were named to all-conference teams, including three to the First Team, two to the Second Team, one to the Third Team and two freshmen to the All-Rookie Team.