Sprucing up away from home for the holidays

By Emma McGrath, News Correspondent

Last week, the Hub celebrated its 71st annual tree lighting ceremony at Boston Common. Hailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia and standing at 45 feet tall, the white spruce drew crowds from far and wide, and was joined by 60 other trees, each of them decked out in lights. Now to get your own.

For the average Boston student, finding, purchasing and transporting a Christmas tree can feel less like a celebration and more like a nightmare. Where can a city dweller go to buy a tree? How much will it cost? How on earth will it fit in your dorm?

A word of advice: students living in traditional first-year residence halls would do well to find tabletop Christmas trees. They’re small, they’re cheap and they’ll sit nicely atop your desk or micro-fridge. Miniature trees are everywhere – most convenience stores and supermarkets carry them, including Whole Foods on Westland Avenue, which offers small trees for $24.99, and Trader Joe’s on Boylston Street, offering artificial glitter trees for $4.99. If you’re planning to check out Faneuil Hall Marketplace’s new light and sound display, swing by North Market and pick up a small tree for $15.

Those in upperclass housing or off-campus apartments may opt for slightly larger or even full-sized trees; more fun, to be sure, but also more of a hassle (and more money). Boston Christmas Trees on Harvard Avenue in Allston is a local favorite, offering trees from 3 to 12 feet and ranging anywhere from $8 to $100, depending on size. For transportation, the store recommends their Zipcar Special. Zipcar members using the store’s promo code receive $85 in free driving, and reserve one of many Zipcars scattered across the city (renters must be 21 or older). For students closer to Cambridge, Pemberton Farms (2225 Massachusetts Ave.) sells trees from 4 to 9 feet, costing between $34 and $81.

For those craving an escape from the city, Boston’s surrounding areas are dotted with charming, picturesque farms. If you’ve got a car (or a friend with a car) and don’t mind a short drive, take a day trip to Wilson’s Farm in Lexington. For the month of December, the farm’s Garden Center becomes its “Christmas Wonderland,” with a delightful array of ornaments and gifts. Turkey Hill Farm in Haverhill boasts a scenic hilltop location, free apple cider for every customer and reasonable pricing – no tree, regardless of size, costs more than $64.

Naturally, with final exams looming, many students decide that purchasing a Christmas tree is too inconvenient, too expensive or both. For students in university residence halls, where natural Christmas trees and lights are prohibited, getting in the holiday spirit can be especially difficult. If you’re one of them, but still want to spruce up your place, you’re in luck. Decorative wreaths, mistletoe sprigs and Christmas stockings all promise holiday cheer with minimal effort and expenditure.