Women’s hockey splits UNH home-and-home series

By Madeline Sattler, News Staff

In the first ten games of the season, the Northeastern women’s hockey team posted an 8-1-1 record, but they have gone 1-4-1 in the six games since, including splitting a weekend home-and-home series against the University of New Hampshire.

The Huskies defeated the Wildcats, 8-1, on Saturday afternoon, but they failed to ride that momentum into Sunday’s contest where UNH came out on top 3-1.

“I was disappointed with our execution,” head coach Dave Flint said. “I felt like we decided to put it into cruise control.”

On Sunday afternoon, the Huskies didn’t look like the team that United States College Hockey Online ranked ninth in the nation. They were turning the puck over in the defensive zone and not completing passes.

One of the few highlights in the game was Northeastern’s lone goal. Sophomore defender Colleen Murphy sent the puck up to center ice where sophomore forward Kendall Coyne was waiting.

Coyne carried the puck down the right side of the ice and sent a shot below Wildcat goalie, sophomore Jenn Gilligan.

“We need to capitalize more on opportunities in order to be successful,” Coyne said.

With junior forward Katie MacSoreley sitting in the box for high sticking, the Wildcats proceeded to take advantage of the man-up opportunity. Junior forward Nicole Gifford had the score to tie the game late in the first period.

“I think we came out hard after last night’s win and then we got complacent,” Coyne said. “Then they picked up their game and that’s how it ended.

Although Northeastern led in shots on goal, the second and third periods were all Wildcats’. The Huskies played slow and UNH took advantage.

Less than four minutes into the middle frame, junior forward Arielle O’Neill took the puck in her defensive zone after a Northeastern turnover. She carried the disk all the way down the ice and sent a shot that deflected off sophomore goalie Chloe Desjardins. The Huskies were not able to get back on the play and it cost them.

“We’re not good enough where we can turn it on and turn it off when we want,” Flint said. “We just need more consistent play and more consistent effort throughout the lineup.”

Later in the period, sophomore forward Lucie Povova skated off for hooking. The Wildcats only took 12 seconds to capitalize and take a two-goal lead.

The third period saw no scoring changes, but the Huskies did get 10 shots on goal. Coyne and senior forwards Casey Pickett and Rachel Llanes had the best opportunities to give the Huskies points, but Gilligan came up with save after save.

“I don’t think we did the little things right today and that eventually cost us the game,” Pickett said.

The Huskies have not won at home since Nov. 10 when they defeated the University of Vermont, 4-1.

The only Northeastern victory in the past six games came Saturday afternoon against the Wildcats.

Twelve different Huskies had points in the contest, with three assisted by Pickett. She now has 100 points in her Northeastern career, becoming the 21st player in school history to reach that milestone.

“It’s a really cool thing,” Pickett said. “Not too many people get to do it, so it’s definitely something I’m really proud of.

Coyne also had three points in the game with one goal and three assists while Desjardins had 26 saves in goal.

The victory showed that with a consistent and balanced attack, the Huskies are a dangerous force. But they cannot expect to compete in the Women’s Hockey East Association playing like they have as of late.

“It’s frustrating because I see how good we are and then I see the lapses that we have,” Flint said.

The Huskies will have a big break to regroup and refocus before coming back after the New Year.

“It’s on them now; I’ve said it over and over,” Flint said. “There’s only so much I can do.”