Holiday Helpings

By Daniel Christopher Sabau, News Correspondent

With the semester coming to a halt and finals just around the corner, we all could use a delicious, festive, homemade meal that even mom would be proud of.  There’s nothing better than spending some quality time with friends during the holidays and enjoying the last few days of sanity before finals, so grab your friends and indulge your taste buds. Here are a few fabulous, easy recipes that are guaranteed to please any crowd. Ho ho ho!

Cranberry Christmas Pie:
This will easily be a new personal favorite. It’s such an easy recipe to make and is the perfect treat this holiday season. Recipe makes one 9-inch pie.

Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch pie pan.
1.) Combine the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in fresh cranberries and walnuts and mix gently. Stir in butter, beaten eggs and almond extract. Spread batter evenly into pan.
2.) Bake at 350 degrees for 35-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Ginger Crinkles:
Although there usually isn’t a ton of time between jobs and studying, but you’re still craving some gingerbread men during the holidays – go for this super easy substitute, which is sure to put a smile on your face.

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6-10 minutes
Makes: 30 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
¾ cup softened butter
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar

Directions:
1.) Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, beat one cup sugar and butter with an electric mixer or slotted spoon until soft. Beat in molasses and egg, stir in remaining ingredients except three tablespoons of sugar.
2.) Place three tablespoons in a small bowl. Shape dough into small balls, roll into sugar and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet about two inches apart.
3.) Bake 6-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool.

Classic Homemade Lasagna: 
There’s nothing better than a hot plate of cheesy lasagna during the winter. This is another classic recipe that will have your guests asking for seconds. I never thought lasagna would be this easy; you don’t even have to pre-cook the noodles! Fab!

Prep: 15 Minutes
Cook: 45-50 minutes
Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
4 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce (Use the ‘Classico’ brand)
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 (15 ounce) container of ricotta cheese
2 ½ cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup hot water

Directions:
1.) Cook beef in skillet until brown, drain and stir in pasta sauce. Spread 1/3 of meat sauce into a lightly greased 11×7 baking pan. Then, layer 3 pieces of pasta on top of meat and half of ricotta/mozzarella cheeses on top of pasta. Repeat until finishes layer is meat and sauce mixture. Slowly pour ¼ cup of water along sides of lasagna and tightly seal with two layers of aluminum foil.
2.) Bake at 375 for 45 minutes; uncover, garnish with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake for another 10 minutes for a cheesy surface.

*Note: You may want to put a baking sheet under dish to prevent spillage while cooking.

Holiday Cran-garita:
What a perfect way to shake the stress of finals and start your holiday party off right with this fruity, festive concoction. Try this spin on a classic recipe.

Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 bag fresh cranberries
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
Jose Cuervo Tequila
Triple sec
Lime Juice

Simmer three cups fresh cranberries in a saucepan with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water until cranberries burst. Strain, reserving the syrup. Shake three tablespoons each cranberry syrup and tequila and two tablespoons each triple sec and lime juice in a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour into a glass. Sugar or salt the rim and garnish with a cranberry! Enjoy!