Event calendar: Jan. 24-30

Compiled by: Sara Tucker, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Sunday, Jan. 27

The Game On! sports bar in Fenway feels for all those struggling to fill their Sundays with new meaningful activities now that tailgates and game days have come to an end. Game Stop and Game On! are hosting a new event this year:  the first annual Madden Tournament. Sign-ups start at 1 p.m. on the day of the event and the competition starts at 2 p.m. on EA Sports Madden NFL ’13 for Xbox 360. Take the Green Line to the Kenmore stop towards Fenway Park for an afternoon of food, friends and prizes. Email [email protected] to sign up in advance. This event is 21+ with ID. 82 Lansdowne St.; 2 p.m.; Free; facebook.com/events/470008019722782.

Thursday, Jan. 24
The Paramount Center at Emerson College is hosting the Los Angeles Music Video Festival this week. The festival started two years ago in California as an attempt to promote videos submitted by local filmmakers and musicians. The sponsors’ aim is to increase the number of celebrated videos that are made by smaller, local artists rather than major recording companies and celebrities like Rihanna and Justin Bieber who are dominating MTV and YouTube. The event is free and is a curated, smaller version of the Los Angeles event. 559 Washington St.; 7 p.m.;Free; lamvf.com.

Friday, Jan. 25
On1 Magazine is hosting a new event this year at the Jai Yoga studio in Braintree: ArtNation. This event is catered to those who like to see art in action rather than just hanging on a wall in a museum. There will be an open-mic for singing, poetry and spoken word performances, and those interested can even sign up in advance to perform at the event. The relaxed environment of the studio is designed to add to the artsy and open feel of the event, and the space has been redone for the night to make room for a cash bar and free food. This event is 21+ with ID. 871 Washington St., Braintree; 8 p.m.; $5 in advance, $10 at the door; on1mag.com/events.

Saturday, Jan. 26
Men all over Boston are hanging their heads as the realization that the football season is all but over for this year (sorry, Pats). So the real question is: what are men supposed to do on weekends now? Nix’s Mate at the Hilton Financial Hotel downtown is hosting “The Man’s Event,” which combines everything the stereotypical male likes:  beer, Madden video games, golf, women and sports memorabilia. Leave your ladies at home for six hours of man time. 89 Broad St.; 12 p.m.; $10; anthemevents.com.

Monday, Jan. 28
With its “@fter Midnite” movies on Saturdays, its historic feel and cheap ticket prices, the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline is a favorite among Northeastern students. The theater will host Dr. Steven Schlozman of Harvard Medical School, who will speak about the adolescent brain as it pertains to the movie of the night:  “Rushmore” (1998). Rushmore Academy is the home of the protagonist and popular kid at school, Max Fischer. Despite his popularity, he doesn’t do so well in school, and is placed on academic probation for his performance. He then falls for a widowed teacher and enlists a millionaire and school patron to help him win her heart. 290 Harvard St., Brookline; 7 p.m.; $7.25; coolidge.org.

Tuesday, Jan. 29
“We are the knights who say…NI.” This week is Monty Python Week at the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge. Catch a double feature at 5:30 or 7:30 p.m. of “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” and “A Liar’s Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python’s Graham Chapman.” For those who have never seen the odd tale of the knights of the round table, the story recounts King Arthur’s hysterical and not-quite-believable trials to find the Holy Grail. He is stopped by a killer rabbit, annoying French soldiers and the favorite:  the Knights who say NI. Die-hard fans can dress up like their favorite character and gallop their way over to the theatre … coconut-toting servants in tow.
40 Brattle St., Cambridge; 5:30 or 7:30 p.m.; $7.75 for one show, $12 for both; brattlefilm.org

Wednesday, Jan. 30
The state-of-the-art TD Garden is home to one of the most famous teams in the Northeast:  the Boston Celtics. Getting tickets for games isn’t always easy, and it’s almost never cheap, but this week the team will be playing a lesser-known California team, the Sacramento Kings, which means unusually reasonable pricing. Basketball fans who have never been to a game, and students looking to experience a Boston favorite – don’t miss this opportunity to get the cheapest seats for the rest of the season. Balcony seating starts at $17, with many seats still available for those interested in the Kings-Celtics game. 100 Legends Way; 7:30 p.m.; $17+; stubhub.com/boston-celtics-tickets/