LIVE BLOG: Winter Storm Nemo

To make sure you’re prepared for the storm and have the most up-to-date information, check this page as it is updated and be sure to follow The Huntington News on Twitter @HuntNewsNU.

Sunday, February 10:
6:28

A NU Alert e-mail was sent out to the Northeastern community announcing that the university is fully operational and will be open on Monday. However, there is still much to be done across the city, specifically with the MBTA services.

Students who may have difficulty getting to classes or work on Monday should notify their professors and supervisors.

For students who would like to drive to campus tomorrow, the Columbus Garage and the Columbus Lot will be open to students who do not have parking permits.

Saturday, February 9:

NU Dining confirms hours on twitter page:

Northeastern’s Housing & Residential Life sent out an e-mail with the following reminders for students:

• We would like to urge you to remain indoors while the clean up operation continues.  The MBTA is still closed, as are most businesses in Boston and the Boston area.
  • We’d like to remind you to adhere to university policies for alcohol and other behavior, because our emergency personnel needs to continue managing storm related issues and emergencies.
  • Our dining service operation is open, and is updating their website with current hours of operation.  Please take caution when using your kitchen, stoves, ovens, microwaves, etc.

Gov. Deval Patrick gave the following updates on the storm in a press conference Saturday afternoon:

• There were 413,000 power outages as of noon on Saturday
  • MBTA will not run at all today and it is unclear whether services can be restored Sunday.
  • As mentioned before, the driving ban will be lifted state wide by 4 p.m. The Governor encourages pedestrians to exercise extreme caution and urges them to just stay home.

Gov. Deval Patrick has lifted the driving ban for Nantucket and all communities west of I-91. The driving ban will be lifted statewide as of 4 p.m.

According to Gov. Deval Patrick’s twitter account the travel ban is still in effect.

Mayor Menino tweets updates on the storm:

Friday, February 8:

Gov. Deval Patrick shares updates about the conditions of the storm in an interview with 7News.

WHDH-TV –

And you can keep track of power outages in the area with Boston.com’s map.

• Gov. Deval Patrick announced that he signed an executive order banning vehicle traffic after 4 p.m.
  • The Whole Foods on Symphony will be closing at 2 p.m. today.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino, at a press conference, reminded residents, “we are here if you need us.” Any resident can call 617-635-4500 with questions about the snow emergency or to get assistance if needed.

The city office of emergency management is monitoring the storm and relaying updated forecasts to the mayor and other city agencies, the mayor said.

Police Commissioner Ed Davis said at the press conference that over 150 BPD officers are dealing with the traffic concerns and will assist in towing any cars that remain on essential snow arteries after noon today. “Stay off the street,” Davis said. “Stay in your house until the storm is over.”

A spokesman for the Boston Fire Department said that the department has added firefighters to each fire company in the city and has organized extra companies to respond to calls for downed power lines.

The snow has begun! Stay safe Huskies and check back for more updates throughout the day.

Thursday, February 7:

The MBTA will suspend all service at 3:30 p.m. on Friday. Prior to 3:30, regular service will be in effect but the T advised riders to “anticipate delays as conditions worsen throughout the day.”

The parking office has sent out an e-mail alerting all students parked in all overnight surface lots (Columbus and North Lots) to move their vehicles to the Renaissance Parking Garage by noon on Friday. Vehicles not removed will be towed at owners expense.

An NU Alert e-mail has been sent out announcing that classes will be cancelled this Friday and the University will be closed on Friday and Saturday. The e-mail included the following updated hours for services on campus:

Friday hours
Snell – OPEN to NU card holders only. Reference and other staffed services will not be available.
Stetson East – OPEN – 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Stetson West – OPEN – 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
International Village – OPEN – 7 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Curry – OPEN – 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Marino – OPEN – 5 a.m. – 1 a.m.
Squashbusters – CLOSED

Saturday / Sunday hours
Snell – OPEN to NU card holders only until Saturday afternoon. Reference and other staffed services will not be available. The library will reopen on Sunday at 10 a.m. with services and operations as usual.
Stetson East – OPEN – 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
International Village – OPEN – 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Curry – OPEN – 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. (Sunday – OPEN – 10 a.m. – 12 midnight)
Marino – OPEN – 12 noon – 1 a.m. (Sunday – OPEN – 5 a.m. – 1 a.m.)
Squashbusters – CLOSED (Sunday – OPEN – 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.)

As a blizzard bears down on the Northeast, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino has announced a number of preparedness measures. In an NU Alert email to the student body on Thursday morning, Northeastern University said it is closely monitoring the storm and will announce any important developments or cancellations through various channels.

“This is going to be a very serious storm,” Menino said in a statement. “Safety is our number one priority, I want to stress that the best thing everyone can do Friday and Saturday is to stay home. Stay off the roads, stay safe and let our public works crews work.”

• snow emergency and parking ban will be in effect starting at noon on Friday. During a snow emergency, parking is prohibited on all major arteries in Boston. These streets are posted with “Tow Zone – No Parking During Snow Emergency” signs. You can find a full listing of these streets at www.cityofboston.gov/snow/parking/. All traffic laws and parking meter fees will remain in effect.
  • Mayor Menino has asked commuters not to drive into the city on Friday unless absolutely necessary.
  • Trash and recycling collection will begin at 6 a.m. on Friday and will continue as normal until the roads are no longer safe for trash collection trucks.
  • A number of Northeastern athletic events have been postponed from this weekend. For a full listing, please visit www.GoNU.com.
  • Menino has activated the City of Boston Storm Center to provide information and service to Boston residents for all storm-related issues. Residents with storm-related questions or concerns should call the Mayor’s 24-Hour Hotline at 617-635-4500 which will have extra staff on hand to field any possible increase in calls due to the storm.