Column: Gone with the Grammys

Sabau at the 55th annual Grammy Awards in Staples Center, LA.

By Daniel Christopher Sabau, News Correspondent 

As I sat in our town car en route to the night’s event, I began reflecting on the past 24 hours. It was somewhat of a blur, due to jet lag from my flight out of Boston and partly because I could not, for the life of me, grasp the notion that I was heading to the most prestigious music awards show in the world.

“Its all part of the job Daniel, keep your mind on the game, you can do this,” I thought to myself as my driver zipped down the 110 from Santa Monica to the Staples Center in Los Angeles. I was no stranger to the bustle of awards season, but tonight was different – I was here on business, representing public relations for Condé Nast Publishing and GQ Magazine at the 2013 Grammy Awards.

I arrived at the Staples Center two hours early; I breezed through hair and makeup, and worked my way into the press room in my freshly pressed tux ready for the red carpet briefing. It all happened very quickly and before I knew it, I was following my editors down the red carpet surrounded by a sea of flashing paparazzi. At this point, the seating charts were being finished and I recognized my name alongside Condé Nast superiors. “Is this real life?” I thought. Prior to the trip, I knew I was not guaranteed a seat for the main event and I would be content staying backstage – but this was infinitely better.

As the arena began to fill in, the show began to take form, digital screens were being launched from the arena’s summit and presenters began taking their spots on stage; it was a complete production. As directors from Condé Nast filed through to the seats to my left, I felt a glare from a few feet away: it was Jennifer Lopez heading straight my way. I have interviewed my share of celebrities for co-ops past, but this was J.Lo, Jenny from the block (and yes the song was running through my head at that moment). Jennifer was a vision, clad in a gorgeous sleek, black number that showed off her toned legs and world-famous derriere exquisitely. “Oh my god! You’re from The Wanted, right? Good luck tonight, baby. I love you guys,” she exclaimed as she flashed a smile and gave me a quick hug before running back to her man of the moment, Casper Smart. I barely had the chance to say anything. I mean, come on, I was not going to correct J.Lo.

As the five-minute mark to showtime was relayed to the crowd, the other celebrities took to their seats; Katy Perry flashing major cleavage with her man John Mayer, Rihanna and Chris Brown (publicly together again), Adele, Nicole Kidman, Janelle Monáe, Monica, Brandy, Kelly Rowland, Alicia Keys, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake and host LL Cool J were all on my radar. All of a sudden, Lena Dunham rushes to my side, “Hey handsome. I think I’m next to you for the night,” she said in her cool and collected demeanor. I was not only a fan of her show “Girls,” but a fan of her in general. We struck conversation about Boston and how excited she was for the night (she is currently  dating Jack Antonoff of Fun who was seated directly in front of us.)

The crowd fell to a dead silence moments before going live, and all I could hear was my heart pounding as the announcer exclaimed “And in 3-2-1, go time.” In those seconds before Taylor Swift appeared to open the show with her chart topping single “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” I had come to a realization. All the long nights at Northeastern, all the double shifts I had been pulling to pay rent, lack of a social life (or any life for that matter) and all of the stress was worth it, it had made way for this one moment of pure exaltation in my life.

The show began with an “Alice in Wonderland” themed set, which, to my surprise, was absolute perfection. Taylor’s live vocals, again, to my extreme surprise, bordered pop perfection, and her slew of backup dancers kept the crowd on its feet for the duration of the performance. As the night advanced, I realized tonight’s Grammy awards was the beginning of a shift in the music industry; with legendary performer Elton John collaborating with fellow British sensation Ed Sheeran, and Rihanna performing with Damian and Ziggy Marley. Artists like Adele, Frank Ocean, Mumford & Sons, The Lumineers, Fun., Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson all received Grammy awards – it was evident the awards show was once again, finally, about the music showcased in the talent.

The closing of the show gave me insight into the life of an artist in this industry. At the end of the day, after the makeup, spray-tans, teeth whitening, extensions and designer gowns, it’s all a show. Yes it was a competition, but in the end, the award is not what matters, because everyone is there to support one another for the love of the music. Well, maybe not Chris Brown, but you get my point.

My time as Hollywood royalty was coming to an end. To my surprise, there was still time (and a ticket) to attend The Recording Academy’s official Grammy’s after party and the ceremonious post-Grammy’s jaunt to In-N-Out before the nights’ magic was spent, but that’s a story for another night.