Event Calendar: March 14-20

Compiled by Sara Tucker, News Staff 

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Lambert Mathias

ENTRY OF THE WEEK
Sunday, March 17
Boston is known for its annual St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, from all-day parties to bar crawls to 10k runs. This year, The Westin Hotel, Samuel Adams, Gillette and other sponsors are working together with the Allied War Veterans Council (AWVC) for the South Boston St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Featuring school bands, beauty queens, Sesame Street, dancers, Boston companies, the characters from Star Wars and Wizard of Oz, Elvis, Captain Jack and the Boston Bruins mascot, it’s no wonder South Boston’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade is known as the second largest St. Patrick’s Day parade in the country. But unlike some St. Paddy’s Day parades and events, this one is designed as an event for veterans and those on active duty, to make their St. Patrick’s Day as best as it can possibly be with the help of anywhere from 600,000 to a million people who show up for the event every year. Intersection of Dorchester Ave. and Broadway; 1 p.m.; free; southbostonparade.org.

Thursday, March 14
March 14, 3/14 is Pi Day, otherwise known as Pie Day – the perfect excuse for a sweet treat. As the temperature climbs slowly into the 50s this week, take a stroll past the Boston Common in historic Beacon Hill with its brick architecture and old-timey feel to the Beacon Hill Hotel & Bistro for a slice of pie and a cup of coffee at a memorable charge: $3.14. The hotel is gorgeous and the bistro is an on-the-rise destination for culinary connoisseurs. Pi Day offers (in addition to cheap pie) a chance to experience the luxury hotel and restaurant without having to pay the usual luxury prices. 25 Charles St.; 7-10 a.m.; $3.14; beaconhillhotel.com/bistro.

Friday, March 15
Acting Out is student-run acting troupes that puts on both famous and student-written plays. For one night only, the group will present SH!TSHOW, a production that follows a few Northeastern students as the main characters as they make their way to a party for the night. The show is meant to follow the events of a typical college party and the “interpersonal relationships between roommates, friends and romantic interests” that go on there. In addition, SH!TSHOW also highlights the difficulties of academic life for students, and maintaining both grades and a social life. 77 St. Stephen St.; 8 p.m.; free; calendar.northeastern.edu.

Saturday, March 16
It’s St. Patrick’s Day weekend, and the parties are in full swing. Some starting Saturday night and ending Sunday morning, others going all day Sunday. The Greatest Bar, winner of Boston’s Best 2012 by The Improper Bostonian, is hosting an all night event: Get Lucky. The bar features four floors of entertainment, some centered around dancing and socializing, others on eating and watching ESPN on a 14-foot HDTV. But no matter what your flavor, this all night rager is sure to be at the root of some great St. Paddy’s Day stories – that is, if you can remember what happened. 262 Friend St.; 9 p.m.; $10; getluckytgb-flavor.eventbrite.com.

Monday, March 18
Spinal Tap was born in 1979 when it was featured on “The TV Show,” a failed sketch comedy show starring Rob Reiner. But regardless of the failure of the show, the band featured in the pilot wasn’t forgotten. In 1984, a rock/mockumentary was released called “This Is Spinal Tap” that focused on the fictional band. Michael McKean, Christopher Guest and Harry Shearer starred as the band’s members for the film. The Coolidge Corner Theatre will show the rockumentary this week as part of their Science on Screen series. Physicist and auditory physiologist Christopher Shera will speak about sounds, hearing and the science related to perceiving sounds before the screening. 290 Harvard St., Brookline; 7 p.m.; $7.25 for students, $9.25 for adults; coolidge.org.

Tuesday, March 19
March Madness officially begins today, and Game On! is ready. The popular sports bar just up the street from Fenway is showing all the games, all the time, on their 90 HD TVs. The first four will air today, hosted at the University of Dayton after Selection Monday on March 18. The first four games will be played between eight lower-ranked teams – that process begins today, and the three weekends following the first four will see bigger name teams playing high stakes games for a chance to make it to the Georgia Dome in Atlanta for the championship game on April 8. 82 Lansdowne St.; 11 a.m. – 2 a.m. (see game schedule); $10-$20; gameonboston.com.

Wednesday, March 20
For ladies 21+, Darryl’s Corner Bar & Kitchen is hosting a Girls’ Night Out Scotch Rocks Tasting, for ladies who have ever wanted to try scotch, but weren’t quite sure what to order. Scotch is usually considered the “man’s drink,” but Darryl’s is opening up the playing field tonight with this ladies only event. Darryl’s is considered up-and-coming, voted Best of the New: food and restaurants by Boston.com and serving classic dishes Southern style, located a short walk away from campus on Columbus Avenue. Samples of some of the world’s most famous scotches will be provided, along with some appetizers to snack on in between tastings. 604 Columbus Ave.; 6 p.m.; $20; darrylscornerbarboston.com.