Letter: Debunking the myths of the senior gift

Unlike that of other colleges and universities, the goal of the Northeastern Senior Gift Drive is not to raise funds to erect a new monument, statue or plaque on campus to commemorate the class of 2013. At Northeastern, we are encouraged to give to what we love, whether that’s our student organization, fraternity/sorority, club sport, etc. – we choose!

I understand that tuition is expensive, but what we pay as students does not come close to covering the total cost of the Northeastern experience. The opportunities and experiences that we’ve had — the nationally-ranked academics, co-op, athletics and student life, to name just a few  — were made possible through the support of private donors, including our alumni.

As the chair of the 2013 Senior Gift Drive, I’ve gained a tremendous understanding about the importance of giving back to the university. As a student, I’m not able to give much right now, but I believe it’s important to give back in whatever way I can because I know my Northeastern experience would not have been the same without my involvement on campus. I want to ensure that future generations of Huskies can define their time at Northeastern with these same opportunities.

This year, the Senior Gift Drive Committee is tasked with obtaining 2,100 seniors to participate in the Senior Gift Drive. Now, you still may be thinking, “Why would I give money to Northeastern after paying so much money in tuition?” Well, participation takes shape in many forms:  You can give a signature gift of $20.13 to receive the Official Class of 2013 T-shirt, you can attend one of our events and give, you can support a Northeastern student’s Catalyst project, and on and on. Gifts starting at $1 bring us one step closer to reaching our goal and the Class of 2013 one step closer to making history.

Making your gift not only celebrates your time as a student, but it also provides opportunities for current and future Huskies. Join me and give to what you love by participating in the Senior Gift Drive.

-Sarah Leahy is a senior communication studies major and the chair of the Class of 2013 Senior Gift Drive.