Event calendar: March 28-April 3

Compiled by Sara Tucker, News Staff

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/Michael Kappel

Entry of the Week: Tuesday, April 2 

As spring makes its belated debut this week, New England is greeted with warmer weather and outdoor activities. Fiesta Shows will present the Revere Spring Carnival, as “New England’s Largest and Finest Traveling Amusement Park,” according to its website. With 32 different rides, all types of games and carnival food like funnel cakes and hot dogs, the carnival has something for everyone. And although Revere isn’t exactly close to campus, it can be reached easily by car, or by way of the Orange Line to Malden before transferring to bus. A $5 coupon is available for download on the Fiesta Shows website. Showcase Cinemas, Rte. 60, Revere; 5 p.m.; $25 without coupon; fiestashows.com. 

Thursday, March 28
NUTV sponsored Campus Movie Fest at Northeastern over the last few weeks – where participants have a week to create a five-minute film to enter in a national competition. The finale of the competition is here, and this week all NU students, faculty and staff will have the chance to view the submitted films for free. Those competing were given the opportunity to create a movie at no charge, a national initiative to give those interested a chance to try their hand at film without the large fees usually associated with the endeavor. All films will be shown on the big screen for the first time this week, and the winner will have a chance to go to Los Angeles for the finals. West Village F, Room 20; 8 p.m.; free; campusmoviefest.com/northeastern. 

Friday, March 29
NU Pride will host its annual drag show, Dragstravaganza, this week at afterHOURS. The show will feature some of Northeastern’s own dressed for “a night of drag queens, kings and other gender non-conforming royalty” to raise awareness about gay rights on campus. Johnny Blazes, who is known for great gender-blending performances including drag, burlesque and comedy, will host the event. Show up early with student ID to get a seat. afterHOURS, Curry Student Center; 7 p.m.; free; calendar.northeastern.edu. 

Saturday, March 30
The Northeastern International Student and Scholar Institute has hosted its annual Carnevale on campus for the last two months, with its finale this Saturday night. From interactive workshops to noodle dinners to masquerades and competitions, the Carnevale has aimed to celebrate the diverse culture found on campus. The finale of the event is an international gala, which features students and faculty in a night of dancing, singing and display. Both traditional and modern song and dance from countries like Chile and China will bring the campus together for one final night of celebration. Blackman Auditorium; 7 p.m.; free; northeastern.edu/issi/events.

Sunday, March 31 
Harvard Square’s Brattle Theatre will host the 15th annual Underground Film Festival this weekend in celebration of films of the strange, unusual and disregarded, those that are often overlooked by the mainstream producers. As a result of the films’ lack of popularity, this is the New England premiere of the majority of the films, including “Mondomanila,” “Los Chidos,” “Champagne & Dirty Sprite,” “Vanishing Waves” and “Big Ass Spider!” on Sunday. From the slums of Manila to a manipulative Mexican family to a rampant monster spider, the Underground Film Festival promises films of the bizarre and memorable. 40 Brattle St., Cambridge; see schedule for times; $10 per show; brattlefilm.org.

Monday, April 1
Spring is only around the corner, and that means that the puffy winter jackets and jeans are getting stored in favor of dresses and shorts. For those who spent the winter hiding under layers of clothes, South Boston Ultimate Bootcamp is hosting a workout at Carson Beach this week as a sample of their weekly bootcamp. The workout focuses on consistency, teamwork, personalization and support to get anyone looking and feeling better in four weeks. For those interested in a weekly workout, this is a good opportunity to try something new, and for those just looking for an excuse to work out, the Ultimate Bootcamp offers an alternative to going to the gym. South Boston, Carson Beach; 6:15 p.m.; $18; ultimatebootcamp.com.

Wednesday, April 3
Central Square in Cambridge hosts a weekly farmer’s market from February through April with the local pick of meats, vegetables, honey and other New England-grown goods. The selection is in its prime this time of year, with new fruits and veggies available every week. As an alternative to shopping at grocery chains, the farmer’s market offers products that even the least skilled in the kitchen can prepare. 541 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 2:30 p.m.; free; farmfresh.org.