New TV shows entice viewers

New TV shows entice viewers

By Kelly Kasulis, News Correspondent 

Television is offering relief to all those still suffering from the end of Heisenberg’s era. With #GoodbyeBreakingBad trending on Twitter last Sunday, as well as the end of “Dexter” and “Big Brother,” new seasons of several shows are hoping to fill the void this fall.

Parenthood

Season five of NBC’s prime-time favorite premiered last Thursday, chronicling new developments of the Braverman family after a heavy season four. The show left off with good news for most:  Kristina defeated her struggle with breast cancer in the season four finale while Crosby found out that Jasmine is pregnant. Drew got into University of California at Berkeley and Amber made it official with military man Ryan York. Last time we saw the Bravermans, however, Sarah’s love life crumbled once again. She refused to take her fiance back in hopes of pursuing a relationship with Hank, only to find that Hank made plans to move to Minnesota. Actors: Monica Potter, Dax Shepard, Joy Bryant, Miles Heizer, Mae Whitman, Matt Lauria, Lauren Graham, Ray Romano. Thursdays at 10 p.m. on NBC.

How I Met Your Mother

Season nine of “How I Met Your Mother” took off with two half-hour episodes, tying up a few loose ends. Last season, Ted invited Lily to see the last changes on his house while Marshall took Marvin on an impulsive visit to Minnesota. The biggest highlight of the finale was the first appearance of the mother on screen, and Robin and Barney’s wedding preparations. The show opened the new season to a big reception, with over 9.4 million Americans tuning in. Actors: Josh Radnor, Alyson Hannigan, Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders, Neil Patrick Harris. Mondays at 8 p.m. on CBS.

American Horror Story: Coven

Just in time for the fall season, “American Horror Story” will premier on FX on Oct. 9. This season, which surrounds the Salem witch trials, chronicles a New Orleans school dedicated to teaching young people how to protect themselves. Last season’s “American Horror Story: Asylum” took many for a fright when Jude died in Kit’s home, while Kit was mysteriously abducted by aliens. The 13-episode run averaged about 2 million views each week last year. Actors: Jessica Lange, Evan Peters. Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on FX.

Glee

With lots of buzz following the death of cast member Cory Montieth, Glee premiered last Thursday with 5.17 million viewers and performed musical tributes to The Beatles. Season four left off with Rachel’s Funny Girl callback and Brittany’s return to McKinley. Ryder figured out who Katie was, and Blaine proposed to Kurt, leaving lots of room for new details in this  season. Actors: Lea Michele, Heather Morris, Blake Jenner, Ginny Gardner, Alex Newell, Chris Colfer. Thursdays at 9 p.m. on Fox.

Modern Family

Season five of “Modern Family” launched with good news for Cam and Mitch after the death of Phil’s mother in the season four finale. Last time around, an arrest warrant was in the works for Gloria after her old apartment was converted into a brothel, and the family looked over letters Phil’s mother left behind, discovering sentimental treasures in the midst. Actors: Eric Stonestreet, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ty Burrell, Sofia Vergara. Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on ABC.

Homeland

The Emmy-winner kicked off Sunday for its third season after a dramatic finale. Carrie and Brody discussed the possibility of new beginnings with a clean slate in the finale of season two, while Saul was able to finally able to prove that Carrie is alive. The finale ended with high stakes, pinning Brody as the perpetrator of the suicide attack plans in season one, and the two parting under the promise that Carrie would clear Brody’s name. Actors: Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin. Sundays at 9 p.m. on Showtime.

The Walking Dead

“The Walking Dead” will premiere Oct. 13  for its fourth season after a finale that reached over 12.4 million viewers. After a season-long tension between Woodbury and Rick’s group at the jail, tensions finally mounted when the governor arranged an assault on the jail and then killed a few of his own followers for good measure. The show generated a lot of buzz after Andrea said goodbye last season, followed by a shot, heard but not seen on screen. The finale ended with Rick’s group returning to jail and several others on the prowl, leaving loose ends to be tied in season five. Actors: Andrew Lincoln, David Morrissey, Laurie Holden. Sundays at 9 p.m. on AMC.