CAMD is #FallingforBoston

Photo Courtesy/Rachel Gianatasio
Photo Courtesy/Rachel Gianatasio
Photo Courtesy/Rachel Gianatasio
Photo Courtesy/Rachel Gianatasio

By Kelly Kasulis, News Correspondent

Warm colors and crinkly leaves are commanding monitors across Snell Library’s digital media commons in an effort to unite the College of Arts, Media and Design (CAMD) as well as the entire Northeastern community.

#FallingForBoston is a CAMD idea that calls for students to hashtag their best photos of the season on Instagram and Twitter for display. CAMD will be holding an opening reception from 12 – 1 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 7 on the steps of Snell Library displaying the photos posted by students and staff. The reception organizers promise hot apple cider and other goodies, as well as monitors displaying photos tweeted, hashtagged and emailed in.

Alexis Ditkowsky, the communications and social media specialist for CAMD, said that the idea for the display was first conceived over the summer.

“I was really interested in finding ways to build and collaborate between different colleges or departments in the university, and it just seemed like fall is a gorgeous time of the year to do it,” Ditkowsky said. “Everyone is already posting pictures on Instagram and Twitter, and it appeared to be a good way to tap into the creativity that’s already here and channel it on a university level.”

Ditkowsky also said that the display, which is already running on the second floor of Snell Library, allows current students to share their experience with prospective students.

“There’s something very special about this time of year – this can show prospective students how lovely it is, how creative the people are, and how beautiful it has been the first few months on campus. I want people to feel like, ‘oh, I want to be there,’” Ditkowsky said.

Gina Marchese, sophomore English major, said that the photographs give the digital media commons “an artistic feel.”

“They’re inspiring and remind students to look at what’s happening around them,” Marchese said.

Other students on campus, however, are not shy about their own suggestions.

“The downfall of it is that there isn’t much advertising for the hashtag,” Ryan Leys, a middler communications major, said. “I feel like most students are just becoming aware of it now, and it feels like fall is already fading into winter.”

Joel Hirsch, a middler music industries major likes the exhibit, but wishes there was more room for “interaction.”

“If people could vote or comment or respond, I think it would be better,” Hirsch said. “I think there’s more room to connect people with it.”

Students are also invited to create playlists to accompany the autumn feeling that the exhibition fosters, further bolstering CAMD in its multiple platforms of media creativity. These are featured on the college’s website, northeastern.edu/camd.

Ditkowsky said that other exhibitions are up-and-coming, including a series of co-op postcards where students will be able to take photos and share their experiences in the working world.

“We are looking into some additional creative partnerships with the library starting next semester,” Ditowsky said. “The details are [to be decided], but I think it will be beautiful and fun and won’t involve going outside.”

Students can submit their photos of Boston amidst fall colors by posting them on Instagram or Twitter and including “#fallingforboston” and  “#camd,” or by e-mailing them to [email protected].