Two gun-slingers wound two men in Ruggles

By Kenny Sokan, News Correspondent 

Kelvin Thames, an 18-year-old of Roxbury, and 19-year-old Terrell Harris were arraigned on gun charges on Tuesday in Roxbury Municipal Court for shooting two individuals in the Ruggles station busway at 8:09 p.m. last Friday, according to a statement released by the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.

According to the statement, Harris, the alleged gunman, was held responsible for battery with unlawful possession of a firearm, ammunition and a loaded firearm; two counts of assault; and discharge of a firearm within 500 feet of a building near the Ruggles station. Thames was also charged for unlawful possession of ammunition, firearm and loaded firearm. He was arraigned for the unlawful possession of a large-capacity feeding device, the statement said.

A reported male in his 20s with no Northeastern affiliation and another individual were injured, but the injuries were non-life threatening. The male was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital where he was treated for his injuries, according to an email from Northeastern. The other victim was taken to Boston Medical Center, according to Suffolk County D.A.’s statement.

The same email advised students exiting International Village to use the Renaissance Park side of the building and avoid Ruggles Street while the investigation was ongoing.

“Me and my friend were watching TV and talking, just catching up and I hear a popping in the background,” said Bangi Laki, a second year international business major who lives in International Village. Not thinking much of it, Laki continued his conversation. “All of the sudden my phone goes off. I check it and it’s an email from the school saying there was a shooting on the corner of Ruggles and Tremont.”

In disbelief Laki went to a window in the room that looked out over the intersection. “I look outside the window and I see a whole bunch of police cars and ambulances,” Laki said. “…It was just shocking hearing it and then seeing it…it took a while to connect.”

After the shooting, police officials found Thames in a Route 44 bus that came from Ruggles station, sitting over his .40 caliber semiautomatic Hi Point handgun, according to the statement.

District Attorney Thomas Costello ordered Harris to keep clear of the victims and wear a GPS tracking device if he were to post bail and recommended a $500,000 cash bail. Judge David Weingarten imposed the same conditions of release and a $50,000 cash bail.

Thames, on the other hand, was recommended a $25,000 cash bail by Assistant District Attorney Joseph Roseme. If Thames posts bail, he will also have to wear a GPS device, follow curfew times and avoid loitering at all MBTA T stations. Judge Weingarten ordered Thames be held to a $15,000 bail and Roseme’s conditions. The statement said that Thames will return to court on March 17 and Harris on March 20.