Men’s basketball: three Huskies honored with CAA postseason awards

By Jake Fischer, News Staff

Before the men’s basketball team defeated Drexel University in this past weekend’s conference tournament on Saturday, three Huskies were acknowledged at the Colonial Athletic Association awards banquet in Baltimore on Thursday. The votes for the awards were casted by each CAA team’s coach, sports information director and two media members that cover each school.

During Scott Eatherton’s first season in Boston, the red-shirt junior averaged 15.9 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks per game while shooting 54.1 percent from the field, making him the face of the program after junior forward Quincy Ford underwent season-ending back surgery in December. Eatherton’s 18 regular season double-doubles also ranked second in the nation. For his efforts, the 6-8 center from Hershey, Pa. was awarded Colonial Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year honors and a spot on the All-CAA 2nd Team. Eatherton received the most votes on the 2nd Team, though some expected him to receive a 1st Team nod.

“The 1st-Team, there’s a lot of seniors that definitely deserved it,” Eatherton said after the Huskies beat the Dragons 90-81 in the tournament’s quarterfinals. “I wasn’t really expecting it.”

After averaging 21.5 points and 11.5 rebounds over the team’s two tournament games, Eatherton was named to the CAA All-Tournament team as well.

Sophomore guard David Walker joined Eatherton on the conference’s All-Defensive team after finishing second in the conference in steals per game at 1.6. Walker improved on both sides of the floor this season, nearly doubling his scoring average from his freshman season and improving his rebounds and passing numbers.

After coming on strong at the end of the regular season and earning two CAA Rookie of the Week nods, freshman guard T.J. Williams earned a spot on the CAA All-Freshman Team. Williams ranked in the top-five in both scoring and assists among freshmen in the conference, averaging 6.9 points and 2.0 assists per game on the season.

Most importantly, all three of Eatherton, Walker and Williams will each be back in Matthews Arena next season. Head coach Bill Coen will return his entire 2013-14 team besides this season’s lone senior. Head coach Bill Coen will return next season with his entire 2013-14 team, apart from this year’s lone senior, forward Chris Avenant.