Event Calendar: April 10-16

Photo Courtesy/Creative Commons/APCEvents

Compiled by Rebecca Sirull, News Staff

Entry of the Week: Saturday, April 12

Shaving is saving at the St. Baldrick’s head-shaving event to benefit children’s cancer research. Dillon’s Restaurant & Bar will host the event, where volunteers can sign up to have their heads shaved in solidarity with children who have lost hair due to chemotherapy treatments. Volunteers raise money before the event, similar to a walk-a-thon or other fundraising event, which goes towards the St. Baldrick’s Foundation. The organization holds events throughout the country and raised over $58,000 last year to go towards cancer research. Whether you’re ready to sport a bald new look or just want to support those who are being shaven, come join the hundreds of other volunteers and make a difference. 955 Boylston St.; 2:30 – 7 p.m.; free; stbaldricks.org.

Thursday, April 10

Water you doing Thursday night? How about going to a public reception for local artist Susan Johnson’s photography exhibit “Water Water everywhere”? Located at the Harvard Allston Education Portal art galleries, the exhibit is sponsored by Unbound Visual Arts, a non-profit aiming to promote education and cultural awareness through the arts. Johnson’s collection features images depicting the grandeur of water and reminds viewers of the necessity for conservation of the dwindling natural resource. The reception will include a presentation by Johnson. 175 North Harvard St., Allston; 5:30 – 7 p.m.; free; unboundvisualarts.org.

Friday, April 11

If you’ve ever screamed at the TV during Family Feud when the contestant guessed yet another ridiculous answer, now’s your chance to prove your skills. The North Star hosts a Family Feud trivia night where “families” made of friends, co-workers or anyone dragged off the street compete for prizes, including $50 off the bill for the winning team. Teams are given survey questions that people were asked on the show and must guess popular answers. However, unlike the TV show, the trivia night works in reverse, so more points are awarded for guessing less popular answers. Come battle it out and enjoy a trivia night where you won’t be asked to name any capital cities, famous athletes or obscure works of literature. 21+; 222 Friend St.; 8 p.m.; free; northstarboston.com.

Sunday, April 13

Watch fellow Northeastern students break it down and show off their moves at the NUDANCO spring showcase. Back for its 11th year, the performance is called Inspirations, hoping to reflect the inspirational time of spring and the creativity of the choreographers and dancers. The show will feature student choreographed pieces including tap, hip-hop, contemporary, modern, jazz and Irish step, among other styles. Go to cheer on a friend or just sit back and enjoy a free dance performance. Blackman Auditorium; 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.; free; nudanco.com.

Monday, April 14

Get a taste of what could be the next great hip-hop single at the iStandard Producer Showcase. Aspiring beats and music producers perform a set in front of a panel of prominent figures in the music industry, including publishers, managers and record label representatives. For artists, this is a night full of networking potential with the possibility of being discovered and kickstarting a career, and for the audience, it’s a night of great music and entertainment. The iStandard showcases have been held across the country, with participants going on to collaborate with artists like Kanye West, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Rihanna and Eminem. 18+; 472 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge; 8 p.m.; $15; mideastoffers.com/me.

Tuesday, April 15

Learn how film and other media can be agents for social change and experience it firsthand at a screening of films by Northeastern students. As a part of the Video and Social Change course with professor Alessandra Renzi, College of Arts, Media and Design students have produced short films about issues they are passionate about, and will now showcase them for the rest of the Northeastern community. Renzi’s work and experience have explored the connections between media, art and activism through ethnographic studies and media art projects, including the production of documentaries, publishing of books and contribution to scholarly and art journals. Snell Library 90; 3 p.m; free; northeastern.edu/camd/cfa/events/videos-social-change.

Wednesday, April 16

You don’t have to go all the way to Hahvahd Yahd to see a show that’s wicked pissah. Check out Boston Accents, a weekly comedy show by Laugh Boston, the stand-up comedy club started in 2013. The club aims to put Boston comedy on the map by featuring some of the top comedians in the city who hope to follow in the footsteps of Boston natives like Louis C.K., Denis Leary and Jay Leno. The 300-seat venue also includes a full bar and quick-serve menu, hosting the weekly show as well as a number of special events. Come hear some great accents and even better jokes. 425 Summer St.; 7:30 p.m.; $15-20; laughboston.com/about-us/boston-accents.