Mayor Walsh to extend Boston’s curfew

News Staff Photo/Maria Amasanti

By Caitlin Walsh, News Staff

In an effort to make Boston the “world class city” that he has often talked about, Mayor Martin J. Walsh wants to keep Boston’s nightlife open later. In an announcement last month, Walsh outlined new plans for the city, including keeping bars, restaurants and nightclubs open later.

The push to keep Boston running later is nothing new. The last weekend in March was the first weekend for Boston’s much hyped new late-night MBTA weekend services, keeping some T routes running until 3 a.m., a far cry from the previous 1 a.m. closing time.

Walsh’s hopes for later nightlife options involve forming a task force to explore just how these extended hours can be accomplished, according to a Boston Globe article. The task force would be compiled of bar and restaurant owners, college students and community leaders, among others.

The goal would ultimately be to allow some establishments to serve alcohol until 2:30 a.m., and close at 3:30 a.m. With legislative approval from Beacon Hill, the current 2 a.m. last call will be a thing of the past.

Boston’s 2 a.m. curfew distinguishes it from other large cities, such as New York City, something Walsh wants to address.

“One of the things I hear a lot around Boston is that we close too early,” he said after his announcement, according to a Boston Magazine article. “Our economy is changing and our workforce is changing, and I think it’s something we need to look at.”

Many people, like junior journalism and business management double major Hannah Holbrook, said they believe it is a positive move for the city.

“It would definitely improve the nightlife for students in Boston,” she said. “But it would also be good for businesses. Boston is a big city but it could be doing a lot more in terms of nightlife and entertainment. So if the mayor can do this, Boston would definitely be taking a step in the right direction.”

Though his hopes are to have a pilot program in place by May – probably in the Seaport District – Walsh recognized that the legislative approval process might make that timeline an issue, according to the Globe. Whatever it takes, however, Mayor Walsh’s dream of improving the city continues.

“Working with the state on legal barriers, and listening to voices from all over the city, we can create the kind of nightlife [sic] that visitors expect in a world-class city,” Walsh said during his address, according to the Globe. “Those international students who flock to our colleges, we want them to stay here, start their businesses, and tell their friends back home that Boston is the place to be.”

Photo by Maria Amasanti.