Track shines in weekend events

By Emily McCarthy, News Staff

Three Northeastern distance runners stamped their names into the Husky history books last weekend as the men’s and women’s track and field teams split up and competed in the Stanford Invitational, the San Francisco State University Distance Carnival and a University of New Hampshire-hosted tri-meet against the University of Maine and the College of the Holy Cross.

Sophomore Wesley Gallagher and junior Steven Sollowin recorded the third and fourth best times, respectively, in Northeastern history in the men’s 5,000-meter run at the Stanford University-hosted Stanford Invitational. Freshman Kate Johnstone ran the eighth-fastest time in Northeastern history in the women’s 1,500 at UNH.

Gallagher earned Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) track athlete of the week honors for his strong performance in the 5,000. Northeastern senior Max Milder was named the CAA field athlete of the week. He finished fifth overall in the weight throw at Stanford with a mark of 60.67 meters, the 29th best throw in the NCAA East Region this year.

“I’m feeling pretty good about my performance this past weekend,” Milder said in an email to The News. “I did what I went out there to do and had a solid series of throws.”

He added that it “feels great” to be the CAA field athlete of the week.

“It is nice to know that the CAA recognizes athletes for achievements during the regular season and I’m honored to have received that accolade,” he said.

Led by seven top finishes, including Johnstone’s first-place finish in the 1,500, the Northeastern women captured a second place overall team finish at UNH.

The men’s squad was also propelled by seven individual victories and took home a third place overall team finish.

Sophomore Nicole Genard grabbed an individual victory in the women’s 100-meter hurdles with a personal best time of 14.52 seconds. Senior Chelsea Hudson won the 400-meter hurdles in 1:05.59. Both hurdlers qualified for the New England championships.

Genard won the long jump for the Huskies and senior Georgia Pingue won the triple jump. Sophomore Alexandra Rose captured the individual title in the shot put.

Sophomore Camille Gooden finished second in the 100-meter dash and anchored the women’s winning 4×400-meter relay team.

The Husky freshmen led the way for the men’s team as Paul Duffey captured the top spot in the 1,500-meter run and fellow first-year Anthony Pavlich won the 400-meter hurdles. Rookie Craig Hammond won the 3,000-meter steeplechase and Adam Thomas won the pole vault.

Senior Alex Shapiro also earned nine points for the men’s side with an individual win in the 400-meter dash. Senior Kevin Rosenberg won the shot put with a season-best throw of 15.84 meters.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team of freshman Kyle Darrow, sophomore Donovan Henry and seniors Jackson MacDonald and Kaylin Miranda also captured a top finish and qualified for the New England championships.

The Huskies will be back on the track Friday at the Minuteman Invitational at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Some of the Northeastern squad will compete Friday and Saturday at the University of Georgia-hosted Spec Town National Team Invitational.