Recaps, predictions for new season of “Game of Thrones”

By Nick Marini, News Correspondent

Mercifully, our winter came and went, and finally “Game of Thrones” is back. The reactivation of storylines was ripe with new takes on familiar situations. In a talky, Lannister-centric hour, the season premiere began with one last gut-shot to poor dead Ned Stark. His impressive weapon of Valyrian steel was divided in two, per typical Tywin Lannister fashion – he was diversifying, like any good capitalist leader. And like the way he handles his offspring, he wasn’t putting all his eggs in one basket.

In the first hour, viewers didn’t catch up with every character, but got a good look at how old character dynamics are situated under new circumstances. The once-golden boy Jaime lacks a hand (replaced with the literal metal now ironically blighting his image), but gained the disdain of his dominant patriarch. In an interesting coincidence, as Jaime has fallen from grace due to the loss of his hand, Hand of the King Tywin Lannister is fully running the show. The once passionate, incestuous  love between Jaime and Cersei is nowhere to be seen, since Jaime’s return and Cersei’s newfound disinterest in her handicapped brother. The darkest power couple of them all appears to falter.

Elsewhere, in an exposition-laden, well-acted, fiery scene with Tyrion Lannister and sensuous newcomer Oberyn Martell, “Thrones” fans were reassured that threats to the Lannisters, and gratuitous nudity, aren’t going away anytime soon.

Duplicity and pairing were everywhere in this episode: a different Stark was reunited with her sword in the bloodiest, most sinister scene of the hour with the enthralling buddy-buddy trope of the Hound and Arya. The perfect little assassin seems to be on the path to menacing, savory revenge. In case you were worried, gurgling gore isn’t leaving “Thrones,” either. Another dark horse couple seems at risk, too; troubled Shae and panic-controlling Tyrion appear on the rocks as jealousy and uncertainty fester behind the scenes. Tyrion, as Master of Coin, is embracing responsibility to the chagrin of his mistress.

Also, control. Sweet control, never guaranteed, never enduring, seemed to be a little less certain even for Daenerys. “Not even their mother” can fully tame a dragon, which brought to mind a scene from last season where Daenerys’s freed slaves crooned to their symbolic matriarch. Perhaps her pedestal isn’t as sturdy as once thought. Still, there’s a pair of strapping lads battling for her affection in eunuch Grey Worm and newly-cast smoothtalker Daario.

Oaths were another theme in the premiere: first, viewers were reminded of the Kingslayer’s past betrayal, and then strict dedication to, vows. The Hound also recalled an oath in a matter-of-fact avowal — “A man’s got to have a code.” Part of what makes his character so watchable, apart from excessive cussing and sure-handed sabering dominance, is his unremitting and somewhat newfound commitment to his own code. (“F**k the king.”) It isn’t, to a fault, like Ned’s morality genome, but there is a higher code within him that transcends the politics of the typical games played in George R.R. Martin’s universe. The Hound, combined with the plucky effervescence of Arya, make one hell of a story. The final nod to oaths was from Jon Snow, whose violation was pardoned for the greater good in a surprising show of lenience from the Night’s Watch. Back as a scarred and rather jaded survivor, Jon is for now trying to forget his Wildling better half, who had a run-in with newly-discovered Thenns. They’re cannibals? Of course. It leaves the audience with a giddy sense of wonder about what else lurks behind the wall.

The entertaining, albeit verbose, return was long-awaited. The chess pieces in “Thrones” were reestablished, with new dynamics upping the ante. Characters met new inductees and had the staple R-rated, affluent, exciting experience we’ve come to expect. But while players plan their moves, wield their strengths and plot their deceptions and revenge, no matter what code you choose to live by, something bigger, badder and meaner never leaves the back of our minds. Get those swords ready.

Then, as the second hour passed, few questions were answered with even more raised. It was another Lannister-heavy hour, but this time, season four really began. No more situational setup from here on out – a major event has established where season four starts, and eight episodes from now viewers may be so far from that moment that they’ll be saying “I can’t believe Joffrey died this season. So much has happened since then.” Under any other circumstances, it would be a tragic death. But not with good old King Joff.

A major theme this week was dark, disturbing crimes against others – the manic fervor of religion seems to consume the Baratheon-run camp to the southeast. People – family members even – are burned at the stake, inadequate in their faith in The Lord of Light. It’s hard to think what Melisandre has in store for poor Shireen, but during her conscription with the cloistered child she uttered the crux of the episode, speaking of hell: “There is only one Princess. The one we live in now.”

Elsewhere, the grim and gore were plenty. The bastard Ramsey Snow may take over as the primary villain in “Thrones,” now successfully flaying and renaming poor Theon as “Reek.” Tip of the cap to director Alex Graves for expertly mining tension out of that shaving scene – watchers see the physical vulnerability of Ramsey, a glimmering blade in the unsteady hands of Reek, but no fatal slice is taken. What those close-ups reveal is the mental dominance at hand – even at his most susceptible, Ramsey now has full control. Theon, or Reek, is a pet. And Ramsey’s father is allowing him to flex his torture muscles, now establishing a hunt for the remaining Stark boys. Also, the opening scene with Ramsey playing his dangerous hunting game raised the stakes of his villainous tendencies.

The royal wedding, apart from being disturbing and vulnerable, was also a primary example of the level of filmmaking this show employs. The tensest scene of the episode came when there was seemingly no life at stake – Joffrey simply telling his uncle Tyrion to kneel. In that loaded command Joffrey’s menace, bigotry and authority imbued sincere hatred and evil. The camera was low, at Tyrion’s level, and all around viewers saw nervous smiles and averted eyes. At this point, the man had been made cupbearer, had himself and his wife threatened, embarrassed and belittled. Tyrion displayed frustration, his own hatred, and full-out sadness as the entire schpiel unfolded. Viewers couldn’t help but hate Joffrey as much as possible before the massive moment came.

Disturbing act met disturbing act when he choked out, and vulnerability was everywhere. Tyrion, presumably framed for the royal murder, reaches a new level of danger. The menacing verbal sparring from Oberyn ups his dangerousness, and paints Cersei and Jaime as much easier targets now that their bratty incestual offspring is gone (Kingslayer has failed again).

The rest of the season will have trouble comparing to the first two episodes – there’s already been a first major plot twist that will catalyze many other events. It seems Tyrion will be framed and while one would assume Martin can’t kill off another major fan-favorite, this is “Game of Thrones.” He’ll have to battle his way back to survive. As Hand of the King, Tywin officially takes over and his expressionless face as his grandson painfully passed was nothing short of suspicious. Oberyn (who’s maybe too easy to guess) and the dark horse pick Tywin are currently primary suspects for the kingslaying. Cersei will probably sink to new depths of despair now that she really has nothing to live for, so seeing her crumble is an easy prediction.

Bran’s story is pretty stagnant, and convoluted, manipulative “dream” imagery isn’t helping. The farther north he goes the more interesting it should get, but c’mon, get moving Hodor and company.

Daenerys will most likely continue building her army as she wanders the desert with her loyal followers, and the growth of her dragons and progression of her power, along with being one of the deepest and most exciting character arcs, puts her story as a deserving fan favorite.

As mentioned before, the Hound and Arya make for one hell of a story, so it should be entertaining to follow them for their perilous shenanigans.

It’s unclear how Oberyn will fit into the crowded mess, or how the struggle for Daenery’s affection will unfold. But the plot is at a high point and ever-thickening in King’s Landing, as the web of lies and deceit grow and more blood spills, new winners take control. Like the lives of so many, control is cheap, quick and ultimately defenseless. It’s all a power struggle, and thankfully our patience is being rewarded with momentous events unfolding early. Viewers can only imagine, with a major death just two episodes in, what else season four has in store for us. All the while, these games play out for the control of land, gold and history books. Let’s hope the other major character, Jon Snow, can do something about that to the far north.

Photo courtesy mezclaconfusa, Creative Commons.