Field hockey storms ahead

By Tyler Blint-Welsh, news correspondent

Following its 0-2 start to the season, the Northeastern field hockey team now has five consecutive wins. The current five-game winning streak is the team’s longest since the beginning of the 2012 season, when it began with six consecutive victories. Since losing to then-No. 1 ranked University of Maryland, the Huskies have defeated Providence College, Dartmouth College, University of New Hampshire, Monmouth University and University of Massachusetts (UMass) Amherst.

Following a 2-0 victory on Friday against Monmouth, NU beat UMass Amherst 2-1 on Sunday.

“We learned a lot from two great opponents, and I feel that over the past five games, the players have taken some of the lessons and changes we needed to make and have done a good job with playing much better,” Head Coach Cheryl Murtagh said.

Sophomore goalie Becky Garner has shown immense improvement over the course of the winning streak. After allowing a season-high four goals to Temple University and to University of Maryland, Garner shut out Dartmouth and Monmouth then held UMass Amherst to a single goal.

UMass Amherst got 11 shots on goal, tying for the most goals the Huskies have given up this season. However, Murtagh credited Garner’s prowess as an athlete as the reason she only allowed a single goal.

“While our team defense has played a lot better over the past few games, Becky had a great game against UMass,” Murtagh said. “She’s a great athlete, and the defense did a great job in helping her see the ball better and not crowding her as much.”

In addition to the defensive improvement, the Huskies have also played well on offense during the streak. Early in the winning streak, Murtagh said that while the Huskies were winning, she felt that there could still be vast improvement on the offensive end. Over the past week, it seems that the Huskies are moving closer towards satisfying her expectations.

“Our defensive press worked well against them, and I think we did a good job against their key players,” she said of the Huskies’ newfound offensive stride. “We were able to counter well and, as a team, our front line has been trying to get more shots and do a better job attacking.”

Despite the Huskies’ No. 29 national ranking, Murtagh knows that Friday’s game at Boston University will be a challenge.

“I feel like we have to stay focused on the little things each game,” she said. “Our fundamentals, our defense and getting more attack opportunities. Also, we have to keep respecting every team we play, something we have done a great job of doing thus far.”

Photo by Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics