Event Calendar: Sept. 25-Oct. 1

By Rowena Lindsay, Deputy Inside Editor

Friday, Sept. 26

See one of Boston’s most famous and interactive museums for free this Friday night when the Museum of Science hosts its annual College Night. With a college ID, students are granted free access to over 20 museum exhibits, such as The Hall of Human Life, the Theatre of Electricity, Dinosaurs: Modeling the Mesozoic and New England Habitats. There will also be the opportunity to see a live animal show and go on a Boston Duck Tour. Additional exhibits including the Omni Theater, 4-D theatre, Planetarium and Butterfly Garden are available at a discounted $6 each. 1 Science Park; 5 – 9 p. m.; free with college ID.

Thursday, Sept. 25

The NU Ballroom Dancing Club is offering free beginner dance lessons to Northeastern students. Each Thursday night session will feature a different dance, starting with the international cha-cha, a Cuban dance, this week. Future lessons will include the tango, waltz and samba. A schedule of the dances for each week this semester is available at calendar.northeastern.edu and dancers are welcome to pick and choose which dances they want to learn or to attend all the classes. Grab a partner or go solo and get ready to have a ball.  Curry Student Center, Dance Studio B (second floor); 9 – 11 p.m.; free.

Saturday, Sept. 27

Explore the Beantown Jazz Festival stretching six blocks down Columbus Avenue from Massachusetts Avenue to Burke Street. Join thousands of other music lovers at this event featuring live Jazz, Latin, Blues and Soul music. Including multiple stages, hear non-stop music all day and get a chance to experience sets from every genre, or just focus on what you know and love. This year the food vendors are taking on an international theme with Jamaican, southern and Korean cuisine. There will also be a craft fair with artists selling their work and an instrument petting zoo, where attendees can test out a variety of instruments. Columbus Avenue, 301 Mass. Ave.; noon -– 6 p.m.; free.

Sunday, Sept. 28

Going through withdrawal without “The Walking Dead” every Sunday? Test out your survival skills at Boston Zombie Apocalypse, a 25,000 square foot cityscape simulation zombie infestation experience. There are two different levels: CHEM ZONE 44; a shorter experience with slower zombies and good for beginners and Z-SWARM 617; a more complicated experience set up like a military zone for more advanced fighters. Defend yourself with CO2 Airsoft rifles, provided for you, or if you would rather be on the offensive, sign up to be a zombie, complete with full professional make up, at bostonzombies.com. 1437 Bedford St.; 6:30 – 11 p.m.; $12-20.

Monday, Sept. 29

If you are a vegan, love Indian food or just want to try something new, head over to Shanti, an Indian restaurant, for vegan Mondays and get a four-course prix fixe entirely vegan meal for just $25. For the entrée, guests can choose from Gobi Matter cauliflower and green peas cooked with mustard tarka and spices, Aloo Palak with potatoes, fresh spinach, spinach onion and spices or Achari Bhindi made with fresh masala-stuffed whole okra, homemade tangy tampering and brown rice. Guests also have a number of options for the two appetizer courses and the dessert course. 4197 Washington St.; noon – 10:30 p.m.; $25.

Tuesday, Sept. 30

See the childhood classic Disney movie “The Lion King” performed as a Tony Award-winning Broadway Musical at the Boston Opera House. The show is directed by Newton native Julie Taymor and features more than 40 actors, colorful costumes and a lively score, including Elton John and Tim Rice’s Oscar-winning song “Can You Feel The Love Tonight.” Tickets are available at eventbrite.com for $53. Or, if you get to the Boston Opera House early, you can wait in line for student rush tickets; $25 (in cash with your college ID) for whatever seats weren’t sold for that show. 539 Washington St.; 7:30 p.m.; $53.

Wednesday, Oct. 1

If you aren’t majoring in something arts-related, there is a good chance you haven’t taken an art class since elementary school. Flex your creative muscle at the art classes held each Wednesday at the Museum of Fine Arts. Classes give participants the opportunity to sketch from live models or from objects in the MFA’s collections and get feedback from drawing teachers. Lessons on drawing technique will also be included. The classes are available at no additional cost with museum admission, which is free to the general public on Wednesdays and free every day with a Husky ID. Drawing supplies are provided. 465 Huntington Ave.; 6 -– 9 p.m.; free.

Photo courtesy kissam, Creative Commons.