Win streak ends after 11 games

By Tyler Blint-Welsh, news correspondent

The Northeastern field hockey team had its 11-game winning streak snapped on Sunday in a 2-1 overtime loss against No. 20 University of Maine. Entering the game, Northeastern had dominated Maine with a record of 23-6-1.

In their third straight overtime game, the Huskies were not able to come away with the win, surrendering the game-winning goal on a penalty shot less than three minutes into the overtime period.

With the loss, NU fell three spots in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association poll, from No. 15 to No. 18. This is the fourth straight week that the huskies have been ranked.

Sophomore forward Emma Lamison scored the first goal of the game under 10 minutes in on an unassisted strike in which she was able to make her way past multiple Maine defenders and rip a shot into the top left corner of the net. Lamison now leads the team with 21 points. For the rest of the first half, the two teams were engaged in a back-and-forth defensive battle.

The Huskies were led by sophomore goalkeeper Becky Garner, who made timely saves on penalty corners and breakaways, helping keep the Huskies up 1-0 going into halftime. Seven minutes into the second half, Maine scored its first goal on a penalty corner as junior midfielder Nicole Sevey deflected the ball into the net past Garner. The score remained knotted at 1-1 for the remainder of regulation, sending the game into overtime.

Prior to this game, the Huskies were 2-0 in overtime, playing stout defense and converting on offensive opportunities in order to get the win. At the 2:43 mark of the overtime period, Maine senior midfielder Annabelle Hamilton was able to convert a penalty shot opportunity and give the Huskies their first loss since Aug. 31.

“Our defense needs to be better on pressing, and we need to do a better job on converting opportunities on things like corners and getting shots on goal,” Head Coach Cheryl Murtagh said.

Though the team had its first setback in over two months, Murtagh still felt there were positives to be taken from the game.

“I think that with everything we do, we have the opportunity to make it better and there are takeaways from each game,” she said.

Redshirt senior forward Kelly Dunn led the Huskies with three shots on goal. Lamison finished with two.

The NCAA field hockey Ratings Percentage Index poll ranks NU ten spots higher than the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Poll at No. 8. This poll is based on wins, losses and strength of a school’s schedule.

The Huskies next take the field on Oct. 24 against Colonial Athletic Association rival University of Delaware.

Photo courtesy Zack Williamson, Northeastern Athletics