Hockey beats UVM twice

By Sara Shaker, news staff

Northeastern women’s hockey team had a packed schedule the last two weeks, taking on the University of Vermont (UVM), Harvard University and Union College. The team swept UVM 7-3 and 5-1 in back-to-back games Nov. 22 and 23. After the two wins, the Huskies lost 4-3 against Harvard on Saturday and 1-0 to Union on Tuesday at Matthews Arena.

Sophomore forward Hayley Scamurra had six goals total in the four games, while freshman forwards Denisa Krizova and McKenna Brand had three goals each. Northeastern had seven power play goals in the four games.

“We were starting to get some scoring from other kids, which was good to see, but with us this year it’s been feast or famine,” Head Coach Dave Flint said. “We score six or we don’t score any, so we just have to find some consistency.”

The pair of UVM games were both high-scoring for Northeastern, with a first career hat trick from Scamurra. In the first matchup, the Huskies scored 57 seconds in and followed with three more goals in the first period, scoring four out of the seven shots taken. Krizova had one goal and three assists, ending the match with her first four-point game.

Brand had a goal and two assists, and junior captain forward Kendall Coyne had two goals. The Catamounts tried to catch up to the Huskies, but Northeastern always led by at least two.

The teams met again the following day in Matthews Arena, where the Huskies took an even bigger lead and had no mercy for the Catamounts. Brand had another two goals, starting the scoring with the first goal of the game as a power play and closing the period with her second. Sophomore forward Melissa Haganey scored the only goal of the second period. UVM got its only point in the third, with a goal by Vermont junior forward Dayna Colang, but Krizova responded with another goal for the Huskies. Scamurra finished the sweep with one more goal with under three minutes left in regulation.

After the wins against UVM, the Huskies had a tough loss against Harvard, falling by one point. Northeastern started off strong, with the first two goals scored by Scamurra in the first period. However, Harvard tied it up quickly with two goals to finish out the period. Krizova had a goal in the first 40 seconds of the third period to make the score 3-2 briefly, but Harvard tied it again just over a minute later. The Crimson had another goal midway through the third period to make the final score 4-3.

“I thought we played well in those games,” Flint said. “I thought things were really starting to click.”

In its final game before New Year’s Eve, Northeastern faced Union at home on Tuesday. Union took the lead in the first period at the 15:23 mark, with a goal scored by junior forward Kathryn Tomaselli, who picked up the puck in the right circle and slipped one past senior goaltender Chloe Desjardins. Northeastern had a goal at the first period’s buzzer, but after the play was reviewed the referees ruled against the goal.

The Huskies fought for a goal in the second and third periods, but despite the season high 59 shots on goal from the Huskies, sophomore goaltender Shenae Lundberg had the shutout, stopping every shot. Northeastern outshot Union 59-24, but after a scoreless second and third period, the final score was 1-0.

Northeastern will face Dartmouth College at home on Dec. 31.

Photo courtesy Zack Williamson, Northeastern Athletics