Event Calendar: Dec. 4 – 10

By Rowena Lindsay, Deputy Inside Editor

Entry of the week: Thursday, Dec. 4

This year, kick off the holiday season with the annual Boston Common Tree Lighting. Join Mayor Martin J. Walsh for the evening’s festivities, which will include visits from Chaley Rose of ABC’s “Nashville,” NBC’s “The Voice” contestant Brittany Butler, the New England Patriots Cheerleaders, Nova Scotia band The Stanfields, the Floorlords dance troupe and surprise acts announced at the event. The official Christmas tree, delivered to Boston from Nova Scotia, as well as many other trees throughout the common will be lit at the event. WCVB TV’s Anthony Everett and JC Monahan will host a live broadcast of the event at 6 p.m.; Boston Common; 6 p.m.; free.

Friday, Dec. 5

Join the Mystery Café for a comedic holiday sequel to Charles Dickens’ classic story “A Christmas Carol.” In this alternate ending, Ebenezer Scrooge has a new trophy wife, Holly, but the Ghost of Christmas Future has foreseen deadly doings for the couple. Guests at this myster dinner theatre event figure out what happens after the happy ending Dickens originally wrote alongside classic characters like Bob Cratchit and a not-so-tiny Tiny Tim. Tickets are $75 and include dinner, drinks and the chance to be the one to solve the mystery. MIT Endicott House, 80 Haven St.; 7 p.m.; $75.

Saturday, Dec. 6

See English indie rock group The 1975 live this Saturday night when the band returns to Boston, after its appearance earlier this year at Boston Calling. Hailing from Manchester, U.K., the four-piece band consists of vocalist and guitarist Matt Healy, guitarist Adam Hann, drummer George Daniel and bassist Ross MacDonald. Through their ethereal alt-rock style, the band combines themes of sex, love and fear in its single studio album “The 1975,” (2013). Its hit songs include “The City,” “Girls” and “Heart Out.” Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com. House of Blues, 15 Lansdowne St.; 6 p.m.; $30-45.

Sunday, Dec. 7

Get your holiday shopping underway and support local artists this year at the CraftBoston Christmas Fair. The craft sale consists of 175 local exhibitors displaying their wares and artwork. Perfect for craft enthusiasts, collectors and Christmas shoppers, the fair is the perfect place to find a one-of-a-kind gift for everyone on your list. The fair is hosted by the Society of Arts and Crafts, a Boston- based group that helps artists sell their wares. The event lasts from Friday, Dec. 5 to Sunday, Dec. 7. 900 Boylston St.; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.; $13-15.

Monday, Dec. 8

Bostonians can try out a new take on the classic Frog Pond skating experience, and head over to the Boston Harbor Hotel, where its Winter on the Wharf ice skating rink has returned for the season. Located under the hotel’s iconic archway, the rink offers breathtaking views of Boston’s sweeping waterfront. Entrance to the rink is $10 for adults and $5 for kids. Skates are available for rental at $10 for adults and $8 for children. Participation supports a good cause, as a portion of the proceeds from Winter on the Wharf go to the Floating Hospital for Children at Tufts Medical Center. 70 Rowes Wharf; 3 – 8 p.m.; $5 – 10.

Tuesday, Dec. 9

This holiday season, see the Boston Ballet’s critically-acclaimed production of the classic ballet, The Nutcracker, at the Boston Opera House. This two-act ballet tells the story of Clara as she travels from her parent’s Christmas Eve party to the Land of Sweets in pursuit of her toy nutcracker. Tchaikovsky’s score for the ballet, while not originally popular, is now one of the most well-known pieces of classical music since the beginning of the 20th century. Student rush tickets are available at the box office two hours prior to the performance. 539 Washington St.; 7:30 p.m.; $20 student rush, $45-180 regular price.

Wednesday, Dec. 10

Embrace your inner Ron Swanson with as much barbecue as you can eat at the Boston City Limits Texas BBQ pop-up. For just one night, the Bergamot restaurant in Somerville will be transformed into an authentic Texas barbecue joint, complete with a live bluegrass band and plenty of red meat. The menu for the evening will include bacon-wrapped smoked jalapeños, beef ribs, hot links, hominy slaw, Texas chili Frito pie and chocolate and bourbon Texas truffles. Tickets to this all-you-can-eat event are $20 and can be purchased at yelp.com. 118 Beacon St., Somerville; 10 p.m. – 1 a.m.; $20.

Photo courtesy Das Nili, Creative Commons