Obama delivers sixth State of the Union

By Scotty Schenck, photo editor

Barack Obama stepped through the halls of Congress and into the House of Representatives on the night of Jan. 20 to deliver the annual State of the Union address. He spoke of the numerous issues facing the country and noted the accomplishments that the nation has made during his administration.

Obama discussed the American economy, unemployment rate, graduation rate and the current relationship with foreign oil. He also talked about combat in Afghanistan and how there are fewer than 15,000 soldiers on the ground in the country.

“The shadow of crisis has passed, and the State of the Union is strong,”  he said.

The president then focused on the future and said it is time for Americans to decide what the nation’s identity will be going foward. Obama asked Americans how they wanted to handle the future, whether they want an economy where only a few do well or if the nation will rely heavily on the military in the future. More importantly, he asked if Americans would be turned against each other or would they unite for a common purpose.

Obama directed his speech on the future of the American economy. He used an anecdote to represent the change of the economy from the recession, the story of Rebekah and Ben Erler from Minneapolis. Their family went through troubles but as the nation bounced back from the financial downturn, so did the Erlers  and their children. He said that, as a country, businesses can stop outsourcing, reduce dependence on foreign oil, make the education system more effective, and create sensible regulations for business.

Obama’s main point was to say that middle-class economics works. Giving opportunities to families helps them grow and feel safe.

He then directed a goal at Congress: to lower the cost of attending community college to virtually nothing. He also asked companies to provide educational opportunities to their workers. Another issue he mentioned was the need for better infrastructure in every corner of the workplace.

“21st century businesses need 21st century infrastructure — modern ports, stronger bridges, faster trains and the fastest internet,” he said. Obama said he would protect a “free and open internet” and launch an initiative to help cure diseases like cancer and diabetes.

He also mentioned loopholes which allow corporations to evade taxes and make profits abroad, which Obama said government should close.

In addition, he shared his vision for America: a country which is committed to improving life, to being true, one which has a bright future.

“Let’s begin this new chapter — together — and let’s start the work right now,” Obama said.

Photo courtesy Pete Souza, The White House