Obama and Merkel hold press conference to discuss Ukraine

By Scotty Schenck, photo editor

President Barack Obama met with Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel and held a press conference with her today in the White House.

One of the key points they discussed was the rising tension in the Ukraine, specifically in the east where pro-Russian separatists have resumed conflict over the territory according to an article by BBC. The story stated that thousands of troops are believed to be near Debaltseve, Ukraine and the surrounding areas, in the southeastern-most part of the country. Debaltseve is about 20 miles from the Russian border.

Obama and discussed ways to deal with the growing crisis. Obama said that the possibility of using “lethal defensive weapons” was still being looked at. Merkel, however, stated that she is opposed to supplying the rebels with weapons and is looking for a more diplomatic solution to the issue.

“I have not made a decision about that yet,” Obama said. “I have consulted with not just Angela but will be consulting with other allies about this issue. It’s not based on the idea that Ukraine could defeat a Russian army that was determined. It is rather to see whether or not there are additional things we could do to help Ukraine bolster its defense against separatist aggression.”

In a story by The Guardian last month, Russia has officially denied any involvement, including the allegations of sending troops and arms to the separatists.

“The Ukrainian crisis was not caused by the Russian Federation,” Putin said to Egyptian state newspaper Al-Ahram. “It emerged in response to the attempts of the US and its western allied—who consider themselves ‘winners’ of the cold war—to impose their will everywhere.”

A summit in Minsk, Belarus is planned for Wednesday to be attended by governmental officials from France, Germany, Russia and the Ukraine. Putin has a peace plan demanding that separatists be treated as equals and expands the land they control in the Ukraine.

A peace plan was put into effect last September in Minsk, but has since been violated according a story by the AP. The same story reported the United Nations estimating that 5,300 people have already died as a result of the conflicts in the area.

In the same press conference, Obama discussed Iran and talks with the country about nuclear arms and the fact that he is not meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, since it is not typical of leaders to meet when their elections are near.

Photo courtesy Chuck Hagel, Creative Commons.