Event Calendar: Feb. 12 – 18

By Alana Dore, deputy inside editor

Event of The Week: Wednesday, Feb. 18

Alternative rock band KONGOS will make the Boston stop of its Lunatic Tour at House of Blues this Wednesday with special guest Sir Sly. The band hails from South Africa and consists of four brothers: Dylan, Daniel, Jesse and Johnny Kongos. The song “Come with Me Now,” off its sophomore album “Lunatic,” has been gaining popularity due to its presence on the “Expendables 3” soundtrack, as well as in network promos for “The Originals,” “Hemlock Grove,” and NBC Sports. Don’t miss this band-on-the-rise and its performance, which is sure to have you stomping and clapping along with percussion-heavy beats. 15 Lansdowne Street; 7 – 11  p.m.; $29.

Thursday, Feb. 12

Looking to gain a little good karma and have some fun? The bar Game On! Fenway is hosting its third Annual Trivia Night to benefit YES: Youth Enrichment Services this Thursday night. YES was formed in 1968 and provides the underprivileged youth of Boston with programming in outdoor adventure, sports, leadership and college prep. There will be free appetizers and half-priced pizzas all night long, with prizes available for the top three teams of six. If you don’t have five friends willing to form a team – be prepared to make some new ones. Last year’s event was sold out so be sure to get there early. 21+; 82 Lansdowne Street; 6 – 9 p.m.; $20.

Friday, Feb. 13

Are you looking for a last minute Valentine’s Day date idea? The ImprovBoston Dating Game mocks televised dating game shows with some of ImprovBoston’s most-loved improv performers. The audience will vote on its favorite stand-up pairings and the winners will perform together and compete for the championship title, “Funniest Couple.” The show will be hosted by improv veteran Dana Jay Bein. This night is sure to calm any first-date jitters with laughter and levity. 40 Prospect Street, 11 p.m.; $10.

Saturday, Feb. 14

Just because you forgot to make dinner plans doesn’t mean Valentine’s Day is ruined – bring your date or your friends to The Lawn on D, a 2.7-acre outdoor interactive space for some winter fun. Sponsored by the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority, Winter on D’s Slopefest is a three-day festival featuring a 70-foot long snow slope for tubing and winter sport exhibitions, a hand-carved illuminated ice bar created by Frost Ice Bar, an ‘Ice Bubble Fest’ by Bright Horizons and more. Roxy’s Gourmet Grilled Cheese food truck will  also be there. Students will enjoy the nighttime Latin-themed dance party that is sure to bring a little heat to this frozen fest. 420 D Street; 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.; free.

Sunday, Feb. 15

All this snow can only mean one thing: movie marathon. Forget Netflix and visit the legendary Somerville Theatre, which is hosting the Boston SciFi Film Festival. This year is the 40th anniversary of the festival and Sunday marks the start of the 24-hour marathon, nicknamed “The ‘Thon” portion of the festival, featuring both classic and new science fiction films such as “The Day The Earth Stood Still” (1951), “Them!” (1954) and “The Iron Giant” (1999). 55 Davis Square; 12 p.m. Sunday – 12 p.m. Monday; $12.75/screening.

Monday, Feb. 16

If you’re skeptical of hypnosis, then this event is for you. Frank Santos Jr. is the R-rated comic hypnotist known for his fresh, inventive and energetic shows, and boasts about his ability to turn non-believers into believers. Unlike many hypnotists, Santos attempts to involve the entire audience in his performance – no one is safe from his hilarious antics. Santos will be performing his After Dark show, which is famed for whipping the mildest of crowds into a frenzy, at the Wilbur Theatre. 246 Tremont Street; 10:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.; $25.

Tuesday, Feb. 17

Usher in Fat Tuesday with style – join other Bostonians at the Faneuil Hall Marketplace Mardi Gras Celebration. While the decorators put the finishing touches on their floats, grab a little grub from some of the special Louisiana-style menus offered at restaurants throughout the Hall, and make sure to check out the festive storefront decorations. Afterwards, jump in line to join the parade which features floats made by Dick’s Last Resort, Sprinkles Ice Cream and Fudge Shoppe, Cheers and Boston Harley-Davidson. Mix 104.1 FM will host the parade and party to follow with the Harvard Marching Band providing live music. 1 Faneuil Hall Square; 2 – 6 p.m.; free.

Photo courtesy KONGOS, creative commons