Women’s hockey gains three against UConn

By Emily Pagliaroli, news correspondent

Needing just one point, the Northeastern women’s team came away from a weekend in Storrs, Conn. with three CAA points, advancing to third place in the Hockey East standings. Saturday, NU faced University of Connecticut (UConn) and pulled out a last second victory to make the final score 4-2. The teams squared off again on Sunday afternoon, which resulted in a 2-2 tie.

In goal for NU was senior assistant captain Chloe Desjardins and junior goaltender Elaine Chuli started for UConn.

Early in the first period, freshman forward Christina Zalewski was called for tripping and sent to the penalty box. Senior forward Kayla Campero got UConn on the board first during the power play. Just a few minutes later, sophomore forward Kelly Harris put UConn ahead by two, slipping the puck just past Desjardins’ reach.

Midway through the first period, Zalewski came back to score her first collegiate goal against UConn, putting the Huskies within one. Assisted by junior defenseman Tori Hickel, Zalewski put the puck right above Chuli’s shoulder to end the first with a score of 2-1 UConn.

Early in the second period, freshman forward Shelby Herrington was called for hooking. Just seconds later, junior forward captain Kendall Coyne scored a short-handed goal. Coyne picked off a pass to score her National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)-leading fourth short-handed goal of the year. Desjardins managed to keep the score tied at 2-2 for the remainder of the second period.

Seven minutes into the third period, UConn capitalized an open opportunity as senior forward Sarah MacDonnell was able to put UConn ahead 3-2. Shortly after, Coyne tied the game once again. Freshman forward Denisa Krizova passed the puck to Coyne who tipped the puck into the net.

Redshirt junior defenseman Caitlin Hewes received a penalty for checking with less than two minutes left in regulation. This penalty would cost UConn the game as Krizova scored with 49 seconds left to give the Huskies a 4-3 win.

On Sunday at 3 p.m., the Husky teams battled for the second game. Desjardins started in net once again for NU and freshman goaltender Annie Belanger started for UConn.

Sophomore forward Melissa Haganey got a penalty for hooking midway through the first period, resulting in the first goal of the game for UConn. Campero chipped the puck just out of Desjardins’ reach to make the score 1-0. Belanger prevented NU from getting any shots past in the first period.

Both teams came back to the second prepared to fight. Early in the period, NU went on the power play and capitalized with the man-advantage. Krizova made the initial shot, which deflected off Belanger. Sophomore forward Hayley Masters came back with the rebound to fire it past Belanger and tie the game.

Late in the second period, UConn’s MacDonnell scored her eighth goal of the season to put NU behind by one. That would be the end of the UConn’s attack as Desjardins refused to let any more shots get past her for the remainder of the game.

Krizova was able to find freshman forward Taytum Clairmont to tie the game up in the third period.  Both teams prepared for a five-minute overtime.

Desjardins’ saved six shots in overtime and the teams ended in a 2-2 draw.

“I thought we battled hard today,” Head Coach Dave Flint said. “We had a lot of shots, a lot of chances. Credit to their goalie, she played well, but overall I’m pleased.”

The Huskies play two games against the University of New Hampshire this weekend, the first in Durham, N.H. on Saturday and the second at Matthews Arena on Sunday.

Photo courtesy Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics