Event Calendar: Nov. 3 – 9

By Sophie Cannon, deputy arts & entertainment editor

Thursday,  Nov. 3    

Start off the basketball season right with the 2016 Midnight Madness event in Matthews Arena. This is the first time the 2016 teams are hitting the courts and it’s an event you don’t want to miss. The night starts off with a BBQ dinner in Cabot Quad at 6 p.m.. From there, sprint on over to Matthews Arena because the first 1,000 students will receive a free shirt. Cheer along as the men’s and women’s teams show off their skills with a three-point shoot off, crazy dunks and amazing dance moves. The Northeastern cheerleaders will be there to help pump up the fans and bring in the new season in style. It is even rumored that Paws himself will be there, so make sure to get a good seat for the show. 6. – 9 p.m.; Matthews Arena; free. 

Friday, Nov. 4            

As the election winds down, the Museum of Fine Arts is hosting a closing party to celebrate. #mfaNOW State of the Party is another overnight experience where attendees can spend all night and into the wee hours of the morning looking at all of the exhibits MFA has to offer. The evening’s theme focuses on the state of politics in Boston, the nation and the world. Aside from the art exhibits, there will be a presentation by reporter James Pindell of the Boston Globe and a discussion by SparkBoston. To rev up the energy as the night goes on, there will be local DJ and food trucks in two locations during the course of the event, a workout session led by Heartbreak Hill Running Company, and many hands-on art projects that attendees can get their hands on. 9 p.m. – 9 a.m.; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; free. 

Saturday, Nov. 5      

So you think you can dance? Northeastern’s own Kinematix dance troupe sure can! Come to FUNK’tion 8, Kinematix’s eighth annual dance showcase featuring some of the best hip hop dance troupes from Boston,  New York, New Jersey and more. The headliners announced so far are NXG Company and Brotherhood. To honor how far the dance group has come since it’s founding in 2006, Kinematix Alumni will be the hosts of the event. Come out to support Northeastern and discover other hip hop groups from all over. 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.; Blackman Auditorium; free with Husky ID, $7 for guests. 

Sunday, Nov. 6         

Happy Homecoming, Huskies! Kick off Homecoming 2016 right by participating in the first few events of Homecoming week. First, come to the Homecoming Block Party Building Competition at Curry Student Center. Cheer on participating clubs as they design a building that shows off just how spirited a Husky fan can be. This year, the competition is taking on a new twist, so stop by to figure out what that means for you. Later that evening down the hall at afterHOURS, show off all that college knowledge at Trivia Night. It’s the seventh annual Homecoming trivia night, and like every year it will bring teams of students from all years and backgrounds. Make a team of four to compete for prizes and most of all for the pride of being the best trivia squad of the year. First event: 4 p.m.; Curry Student Center Ballroom; free. Second event: 7 p.m.; afterHOURS; free. 

Monday, Nov. 7  

All forms of art meld together on Monday with an amazing art exhibition featuring music, film and visual art. Boston local artist Nicole Beauchaine will be showing her hand-crafted, customized art guitars. Taking inspiration from sugar skulls, cult classic movies, or anything with a creepy edge, these handcrafted upcycled guitars are something you have to see to believe. Not only does she handcraft guitars, she also is involved with making and producing stop motion films.  Even though Halloween is over, these creepy yet strikingly beautiful works of art are worth the trip out, plus there will also be a cash bar and complimentary hors d’oeuvres. 6 – 9 p.m.; 645 Tremont St. Boston; free. 

Tuesday, Nov. 8     

Welcome the end of a crazy election season with a bang at the election night watch party at the Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub. Brought to you by Cambridge for Hillary Clinton, this event is sure to end in a crazy dance party, regardless of the results of the election. First, watch the results come in on a giant screen while eating food provided by the restaurant and a cash bar for those with a valid ID. Then, once the results are in, welcome the new president and dance all the election drama away with thousands of others who value politics and parties just as much as you do. RSVP on the Facebook event’s page to let the venue know how many young voters to expect at their doors on this historic night of 2016. 7:30 p.m. – 12 a.m.; Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub, 472-480 Massachusetts Ave,<<add period Cambridge; free. 

Wednesday, Nov. 9  

Take a deep breath in through the nose and out through the mouth with some much needed yoga this hump day. Join Boston Meditates to learn how to relax and receive complimentary tea with others who also want to de-stress with the ancient practice of yoga. This free session is the start of a series by the Art of Living Foundation, a nonprofit organization engaged in service initiatives in 153 countries. There is no need for prior yoga experience, so come if you are new to the world of yoga or if you are a true yogi at heart. Even though this event is free, RSVP here to let the staff know how many pots of tea to start brewing. 7 – 8 p.m.;  Democracy Center, 45 Mount Auburn St., Cambridge; free.

Photo Courtesy Suzanne Hunt, Creative Commons