Bugalski, defense carries NU

By Julianne Desjardins, news correspondent

The Northeastern University (NU) women’s hockey team returned to its winning ways this past weekend with victories over the University of Maine and Providence College.

The team started out the weekend with a win over the University of Maine on Saturday. The Huskies (8-3-1, 4-1-0 Hockey East) scored their first goal of the game at 5:17 of the first period by junior left wing Denisa Krizova on a power play with assists from senior left wing Paige Savage and junior center Shelby Herrington.

Their second goal of the game also came on a power play in the second period and was scored by Savage.

The Huskies scored for the final time of the night on a goal by junior right wing McKenna Brand.

Meanwhile, sophomore goaltender Brittany Bugalski put on another stellar showing, making 24 saves and Maine couldn’t break through until they scored two goals at the end of the third period.

Bugalski has been a key player in the Huskies’ success so far this season.

“She’s been rock solid,” head coach Dave Flint said after the game. “She gives us a chance to win every night.”

The Huskies recorded a similar result on Sunday against Providence when once again the game was decided by one goal.

The game revolved around defense, as all three goals scored in the game came in the first period.

The Huskies struck first with a short-handed goal from Brand just three minutes into the contest with assists from Herrington and sophomore defenseman Maddie Hartman.

NU scored once again in the first period on another short-handed goal, this one coming from Denisa Krizova.

Providence sophomore forward Christina Putigna scored Providence’s sole goal in the first period.

The Huskies couldn’t seem to keep the puck out of their end, but because of Bugalski in the goal, they were able to hold off Providence College to secure the Huskies’ eighth win of the season. She stopped 32 shots in the win. Her performance also lead to her third Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week honor this season.

Toward the end of the game, there was a bit of a scuffle between Maddie Hartman and Blair Parent of Providence.

“It’s part of the game, they all get into it,” Flint said after the game. “I tell the players to keep their head in the game. You don’t want a penalty late in the game, especially in a close game.”

This coming weekend the Huskies will play two games against Merrimack College, one away on Friday and the other one at home on Saturday.