Men’s hockey takes two over Merrimack

By Calli Remillard, news staff

Finally making a much anticipated comeback, the Northeastern University (NU) men’s ice hockey team broke their four game winless streak with their first two victories of 2017, both against Merrimack College.

The Huskies faced off against the Merrimack Warriors Friday night at Matthews Arena as part of Skating Strides Night. Hockey East’s Skating Strides program serves as a fundraiser to raise awareness for breast cancer. Now in its 11th season, it gives the athletes a chance to give back to the community in which they live, study and skate.

Goals from sophomore forward Adam Gaudette and freshman defenseman Jeremy Davies got the Huskies off to a quick 2-0 lead in the first 11 minutes of the game. Their two point lead was broken when Merrimack’s Sami Tavernier shot past NU’s sophomore goalie Ryan Ruck five minutes into the second. However, Ruck stopped 33 shots, helping his team hold onto their lead.

The Huskies sealed the game in the third period, when senior forward Brendan Collier netted his third goal of the season, followed by junior forward Dylan Sikura, who hammered home the fourth and final goal on a power play for the Huskies. Sikura was later named the Warrior Hockey Player of the week by the Hockey East for his performance. Ruck knocked away 11 shots from Merrimack in the third period alone, including two during a 6-3 skating advantage for the Warriors in the final minute of regulation.

Northeastern earned another win against Merrimack on Saturday night in North Andover. Gaudette scored his 13th goal of the year, getting the Huskies on the board just six minutes into the game. Merrimack’s defenseman Johnathan Kovacevic scored late in the first, sending the teams into the second frame tied 1-1, only to have Warriors’ forward Jace Hennig pull his team ahead with an early goal in the second.

The Huskies took control of the game from there, seeing three more goals from freshman forward Matt Filipe, senior forward Zach Aston-Reese and sophomore defenseman Eric Williams, ending the game with a 4-2 win over Merrimack.

Goalie Ryan Ruck had another huge night, stopping 33 shots for the third consecutive game and earning his 29th career win, placing him eighth on Northeastern’s all-time wins list.

The Huskies were in last place heading into this weekend, but head coach Jim Madigan said he was pleased with the Huskies first sweep of the season.

“We played a real good game, one of our best games all season long,” Madigan said. “I just like the whole mentality and mindset of our kids.”
The Huskies look to build off their four point weekend and will face off against the University of Massachusetts Lowell on Friday at the Tsongas Center.

Photo courtesy Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics