Column: Senior disappointed with her final Springfest lineup

I was always a big supporter of the Council for University Programs (CUP). While there have been years I may not have particularly liked the Springfest selection, I always kept my mouth shut.

I understand it’s a difficult process, I get it. We’re Northeastern. We don’t have the budget to bring in someone like Lady Gaga or Vampire Weekend. That’s fine, we don’t need them. When I saw this year’s line-up, though, I couldn’t help but sigh in disappointment.

Last week CUP announced that the main acts of Spring Fest would be Drake, 3OH!3, K-OS and comedian Kathy Griffin.

I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m a senior and it’s probably my last chance to pay $5 for a show. Maybe it’s the fact that after four years of sub-par artists, I was hoping the fifth year would be the charm. No dice.

In the last issue of The News, Nani Stoick, major concert chair for CUP, said it is unrealistic to please everyone at a school as big as Northeastern. She also brought up the NEU Spring Fest survey in which 6,000 to 7,000 students said they wanted Top 40 artists for the concert.

Seriously, Drake and 3OH!3? I actually had to Google Drake to remind myself of who he is. What I found on Wikipedia isn’t all that exciting. The only “a-ha” moment was when I realized he was featured on a track on Jay-Z’s recent Blueprint 3 album. Again, nothing to write home about.

I think my biggest issue is with 3OH!3. I’ve strongly disliked this band since their first single “Don’t Trust Me” came out last year. The song is just plain stupid. Let me provide you with some lyrics to prove this point: “Tell you boyfriend, if he says he’s got beef that I’m a vegetarian and I ain’t … scared of him.” As if this wasn’t dumb enough, check this: “Shush girl, shut your lips, do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips.” Really? Really? Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

The only somewhat promising thing about Springfest is Kathy Griffin. This is due solely to how hilarious it was when she made Larry King visibly uncomfortable on a recent interview. (Seriously, YouTube it, it’s worth it).

So who knows, maybe this will turn out to be an extraordinary show. I hate that I’m complaining about Spring Fest, but this column, in some ways, is my venting ground when it comes to everything Northeastern. I don’t want to point fingers or play the blame game. There’s no point and it’s not worth it. I have a bunch of friends who have served on CUP’s executive board, so I know a lot of hard work goes in to planning Spring Fest. Hear me loud and clear, I am not blaming CUP. I’m not blaming anyone, really.

Springfest is kind of a lost cause for me at this point, because I will not be insistently clicking the refresh button on my browser when tickets go on sale, just to have NEU crash on me. I guess my last hoorah of guests might just be the commencement speaker. So, come on, Northeastern. Don’t let me down.

– Mary Ann Georgantopoulos can be reached at [email protected].