HUBweek welcomes innovators from around the world

Dylan C.Shen
A central signpost within the HUBWeek complex directs attendees to exhibits around City Hall Plaza. / Photo by Dylan Shen

HUBweek was created in 2014 by MIT, Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital and The Boston Globe to bring together innovators and inventors from across the world to one collaborative space. This year the event was held in Boston from Oct. 8-14.

Controlled via videogame controller, the RSE Mark III can be remotely piloted to safely capture invasive lionfish. The robot momentarily stuns the fish through the use of its forward mounted paddles and the fish is drawn into the clear holding chamber. / Photo by Dylan Shen
Siyang Tang tests an HTC Vive, exploring a virtual reality experience of Boston’s City Hall Plaza throughout each season. / Photo by Dylan Shen
Adam Cantor, Vice President of Engineering of Robots in Service of the Environment (RSE), presents their robot solution to mitigate the problem of pervasive invasive lionfish in the HUBWeek Ideas Dome. RSE hopes to mass produce these robots at low cost, lowering the human risk normally required to capture lionfish and increasing the volume of capture. / Photo by Dylan Shen
HUBWeek attendees participate in a “Silent Disco”–wearing a pair of wireless headphones, each is able to customize the music they dance to. / Photo by Dylan Shen
Supported by a live orchestra and band, hip-hop artist Cliff Notez sings and raps, engaging the audience through discussions of social inequality, positive relationships, and social-emotional learning. / Photo by Dylan Shen
Attendees saw a prosthetic hand at the Bespoke Bodies exhibit from the Design Museum Foundation. / Photo by Catherine Argyrople
BalletRox Youth dance troupe performs a ballet number. / Photo by Catherine Argyrople
Barbara Sosnowski and David Shields present on the ” Collaboration and the Future of Pharmaceutical Research” panel from Pfizer. / Photo by Catherine Argyrople