Review: Mid90’s modernizes the coming-of-age motif

Tobin Yelland
DAY 17 RAW Photo Tobin Yelland-5968.dng

By Sofie Kato, news correspondent

“Mid90s” is a relatable comedic drama that showcases the effects of friendship, love and family on a growing child.

A modern coming-of-age story written and directed by Jonah Hill, “Mid90s” details the life of 13-year-old Stevie, played by Sunny Suljic, as he tries to find his place in the world. Stevie so desperately wants to escape the bullying from his older brother that he befriends a group of skaters to help him feel loved. They give him a profound friendship and help him feel welcomed and a part of something he has never known before.

In the tradition of a ‘90s nostalgia movie filled with crass jokes, Hill brings a raw and real representation of life in Los Angeles to the big screen. The group of boys all come from different backgrounds with different goals in life, and Sunny Suljic, Na-kel Smith, Olan Prenatt, Gio Galicia and Ryder McLaughlin bring the struggles of the boys to light in a subtle, yet powerful way.  

With first-time actors as the leads, the movie explores dynamics of brotherhood, complicated love and family. Stevie’s mother doesn’t want her kids to abuse the drugs that she did in her youth, but she doesn’t know how to stop it from happening. Stevie admires his older brother Ian for being “cool,” and although Ian beats him up all the time, Stevie still loves his brother.

At first, Stevie doesn’t know how to skateboard but shows a resilience and determination that helps him build confidence in his skills.  He is eventually mentored by the leader of the group, Ray, a passionate skateboarder hoping to skate professionally. Ray uses skateboarding to cope with the loss of his younger brother and shows Stevie kindness that he has never seen.   

In a recent interview with “Newsweek”, Hill says he drew inspiration for the film from his own feelings of loneliness. He shows the boys’ willingness to accept a new member with ease.  Although each boys’ struggles aren’t blatantly shown, the fatigue of family life is seen through the characters’ anger and emotions that unravel throughout the film.

Each character has a personality that adds to the group dynamic. There’s the leader, who knows where he wants to go with his life; the carefree skater who wants to live a life of fun; the impassioned boy trying to escape the abuse of his parents; the poor, uneducated boy who wants to be a filmmaker and Stevie, a young teen struggling to find his place in the world.

The movie ends with an unfinished feeling, leaving the audience wanting more. Overall, Stevie not only finds a subtle love from his mom and brother stemming from their own acceptance of their struggles but also finds a similar love through the brotherhood of his group.

“Mid90s” opens Thursday at theaters everywhere.