Huskies become first team to lose to local rival Boston University this season

By Marisa Goolgasian, news staff

Northeastern men’s hockey was disappointed this weekend in their series against Boston University, handing the 0-4 Terriers their first win of the season Saturday night.

The Huskies were looking to win their fourth straight series against BU for the first time since 1989, but after ending Thursday night’s wild game in a tie and losing Saturday’s match 1-4, the hopes of continuing their streak died.

Thursday night started out great for the Huskies, who gained a 2-0 lead less than 4 minutes into the first period in Matthews Arena. Third-year forward Grant Jozefek scored 2 minutes in on a pass from third-year forward Matt Filipe and second-year forward Bobby Hampton scored at 3:11 from fourth-year forward Austin Plevy, forcing out BU’s starting goaltender third-year Max Prawdzik in favor of third-year Jake Oettinger.

However, even amid the deafening cheers being exchanged across the ice from one end of the Doghouse to the other, BU came back swinging.

Second-year forward Logan Cockerill found his way to the back of the net with less than a minute left in the first, shortening the Huskies’ lead to one. Then, 3 minutes into the second period, third-year forward Patrick Curry tied up the game for the Terriers. Fourth-year forward Patrick Schule responded a minute later with a beautiful breakaway goal, putting NU back in the lead through the end of the second.

The third period was wild. BU first-year forward Joel Farabee and fourth-year forward Bobo Carpenter put the Terriers neck and neck with the Huskies within the first 5 minutes of the period. Jozefek and Schule responded with their second goals of the game, regaining NU’s lead. BU third-year defender Chad Krys buried the equalizer with less than 8 minutes left in regulation, forcing the game into a scoreless overtime.

“We’re disappointed with the way the game ended up,” said head coach Jim Madigan. “When you’re up two-nothing and you’ve got some fight, some life and energy and then you let the other team back into it… I said to the guys, ‘You know, there’s good games, there’s good ties, and this wasn’t a good tie.’”

Although the result wasn’t what the Huskies wanted or what anyone expected, there was a silver lining in the form of NU second-year goaltender Cayden Primeau. BU outshot Northeastern 50-34 in the game, meaning Primeau made 45 saves—his career high.

The rivals met again Saturday night at Agganis Arena, but this time a tie was not in the cards. BU third-year defender Dante Fabbro scored on the Terrier’s first power play of the night with a minute left in the first period, giving the team a 1-0 lead over Northeastern going into the second.

The scoreboard remained at 1-0 BU through the entire scoreless second period, in which the Huskies outshot the Terriers but couldn’t find the back of the net.

All hell broke loose in the third period when BU’s Fabbro, Carpenter and Curry put points on the scoreboard, bringing the score to 4-0 until NU third-year forward Matt Filipe scored the Huskies’ only goal, a power play strike late in regulation to spoil the shutout.

When the buzzer sounded signaling the end of regulation, Agganis Arena exploded as the Terriers celebrated their first win of the season.

BU now stands at 1-4-1 overall and 1-2-1 in Hockey East while the Huskies fall to 4-3-1 with a 1-1-1 conference mark.  

• Huskies become first team to lose to local rival Boston University this season

Featured Content

Shorthanded men’s basketball earns dominant wins over Bucknell, Eastern Michigan

Sports

Men’s hockey destroys Merrimack 9-1, extends streak to five

Sports

Women’s hockey falls to Holy Cross, ending 12-game unbeaten streak

Sports

Men’s hockey hosts ‘Mustaches for MacLeod’

Sports

Women’s hockey closes out 2018 with shutout win over Holy Cross

Sports

Women’s Hockey tops Boston College in OT thriller

Sports

Men’s basketball leaves Charleston unsatisfied, but picks up signature win

Sports

Huskies start and end Thanksgiving break with wins against UVM and RIT

Sports

Women’s hockey extends unbeaten streak to 11 games

Sports

Men’s soccer exits in first round of CAA tournament

The student newspaper of Northeastern University