Nia Beckett

Nia Beckett, Lifestyle Editor

Nia Beckett is a first-year journalism major and the lifestyle editor for The News. She loves writing about fashion, saving the environment, and all things lifestyle. She served as an editor for Her Campus Northeastern, and is now their campus correspondent. She also wrote multiple articles for Northeastern's fashion and beauty magazine, The Avenue. Nia is a chai tea and Carrie Bradshaw enthusiast, and documents her adventures on Instagram @niashalise_.

She can be reached at [email protected].

All content by Nia Beckett

Review: ‘Waves’: an intense and heartbreaking ride

Nia Beckett, news correspondent
November 27, 2019

Repeatedly whirling around in a car of smiling teens, the opening shot of A24’s latest drama “Waves” — and most of what follows — quickly becomes disconcerting and overwhelming. Set in sunny...

Continue Reading
The Forever 21 on Newbury Street features signage revealing that the location is closing, a result of the company filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in September.

Forever 21 fails to adapt to increasingly conscious Gen Z consumption

Nia Beckett, news correspondent
November 14, 2019

Generation Z, or Gen Z, once flocked to Forever 21’s revolving collection of trendy clothing that hung haphazardly from its cluttered racks. Now, the location on Newbury Street, plastered in bright “store...

Continue Reading
Alex Hurt (Rosencrantz) and Jeremy Webb (Guildenstern) in the Huntington Theatre Companys production of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, playing Sept. 20 through Oct. 20, 2019 at the Huntington Avenue Theatre.

Review: ‘Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead’ is a crisis of antiheroes

Nia Beckett, news correspondent
October 2, 2019

Minor characters take the main stage in the Huntington Theatre Company’s production of “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead,” and they’re nothing short of absurd. Playwright Tom Stoppard’s...

Continue Reading
Northeasterns Cheese Club focuses on celebrating the food and also bringing together the larger cheese community.

Cheese lovers unite in new NU club

Nia Beckett, news correspondent
September 27, 2019

After a tasting at Xhibition Kitchen, an on-campus kitchen venue, during their freshman year, Cheese Club co-founders and co-presidents Allie Kuo and Sean Flannery found themselves constantly talking about...

Continue Reading
Caroline Forans Own It: Make Your Anxiety Work for You was released April 2 in the U.S. and Canada.

‘Own It’ provides novel perspective for confronting anxiety

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
April 3, 2019

Managing anxiety can be difficult, and everyone in college has either grappled with it or knows someone who has. Bestselling author Caroline Foran is here to help with her book, “Own It: Make Your Anxiety...

Continue Reading
The MFAs Sargent and Fashion interactive exhibition lab previews its 2021 exhibition.

MFA experiments with ‘Sargent and Fashion’ exhibition in interactive lab

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
March 13, 2019

The Museum of Fine Arts welcomes museumgoers to take a behind-the-scenes look at the role of fashion in painter John Singer Sargent’s work through an exhibition lab. The experimental endeavor comes ahead...

Continue Reading
NASO dancers take the stage at Ikemba Africa Night.

Ikemba Africa Night fosters togetherness

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
February 20, 2019

A range of artists represented Africa and its diaspora in Blackman Auditorium on Saturday night at the Northeastern African Student Organization’s, or NASO’s, Ikemba Africa Night 2019. Ikemba is an...

Continue Reading
Panelist Katie Wilhoit responds to a question during Scouts Fake It Till You Make It discussion.

Scout gets real about impostor phenomenon

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
February 14, 2019

Members and guests gathered in Shillman Hall on Thursday for the student-led design studio Scout’s first panel on impostor syndrome, titled “Fake It Till You Make It.” Scout marketing and events...

Continue Reading
joan members Steven Rutherford and Alan Thomas perform their first song, take me on.

Indie pop duo joan makes Boston debut

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
January 30, 2019
Duo joan opens for half•alive at Brighton Music Hall Friday night.
Read Story
John Judd and Mary Beth Fisher perform in the Huntington Theatre Companys production of A Dolls House, Part 2. / Photo courtesy Kevin Berne, Huntington Theatre Company.

Review: ‘A Doll’s House, Part 2’ conflicts audiences over timeless debate

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
January 16, 2019
Lucas Hnath’s “A Doll’s House, Part 2,” imagines the life of Henrik Ibsen’s character Nora 15 years later.
Read Story
SoWa Winter Festival presents Boston-based vendors

Nia Beckett, lifestyle editor
December 5, 2018
The fourth annual SoWa Winter Festival took place in Boston's South End last weekend, and many Boston based vendors sold their goods. The event will continue next weekend.
Read Story
Review: Colette

Review: Colette

Nia Beckett
September 26, 2018
New Keira Knightley film, Colette, takes on the topics of bisexuality and female independence set in 20th century France.
Read Story