NU Pride’s Queen Husky Drag Show brings people of all genders together

Photo courtesy Winifred Gallogly, NU Pride

Performers at NU Pride’s annual Husky Drag Show pose in AfterHours.

Deanna Schwartz, news staff

NU Pride’s Queen Husky Drag Show made its return to campus Feb. 28, filling every seat in AfterHours and leaving many students standing in the back.

The Queen Husky Drag Show is an annual event in which students perform in drag. The show is “a space for Northeastern’s LGBTQ community to learn, do advocacy work and have fun together,” said NU Pride social media manager Jasmine Heyward, a fourth-year journalism major.

The show was open to anyone to perform and included students of many different gender identities.

“It’s something that both allies and queer people can take part in,” Heyward said. “Drag is something that classically brings people of different backgrounds together.”

The show’s host, fourth-year mechanical engineering major Jackson Powell who performed as Angela Transbury, started off the night with a sultry dance to Amy Winehouse’s “Amy Amy Amy.” Powell has been performing in the drag show for four years and has hosted for the past two.

“Yell! Yell at everything,” Powell said to the crowd — and yell they did.

Powell held the audience rapt during the show with many memorable lines.

“If one thing’s for certain, it’s that white people like to clap during music,” Powell said, getting a laugh from the audience.

The show was filled with lip-syncing, dancing, comedy and audience participation. Seven audience members competed in a dance competition for a Starbucks gift card, one of the most cheered parts of the evening.

Maeve O’Sullivan, a fourth-year communication studies major, performed as “bisexual beefcake” Colin O’Broad for the second time on the AfterHours stage. O’Sullivan is the treasurer of NU Pride and has been doing drag for more than three years.

Sporting a curly brown wig and fake beard, first-year design major Hanieka Balint showed off her comedic skills as Dyke Pence. Balint led an audience volunteer in a “Joy of Painting”-style abstract painting tutorial, receiving lots of laughs from the crowd.

Cameron Hennessy, a third-year physical therapy major, took on the persona of Andrew Ogenous to perform a strip dance and lip-sync. Prior to performing, Hennessy said they were “so nervous [they] could puke, but super excited.” In a show-stopping moment, Hennessy showered the stage with glitter when they removed their hat.

Elizabeth Torres, a first-year journalism and interaction design major, performed a lip-sync to Gloria Trevi’s “Todos Me Miran” as Rosa Salvaje.

Other acts included Sexy Gamer Girl, Tinder Tom, Alice Howls, Oh Wonder and Jay Queery. With every split, cartwheel and death-drop, the audience went wild.

Jay Fortescue, a third-year bioengineering major, attended the show for the second time.

“I love drag and all things queer,” Fortescue said.

Editor’s note: Jasmine Heyward was previously a columnist, staff writer and copy editor for The News.